Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to go beyond the 99 TRACKS of content limitation for a DVD

Greetings All,

I don't think there is much hope of getting the solution to my dilemma that I'm hoping for, but perhaps someone out there has overcome a similiar situation to mine.

As you can see from the topic of my post, I'm hoping there might be some way to get DVD SP to 'work-around' the DVD-standard of 99 tracks of content. To give you a better idea of why I'm trying to do this I'll just briefly outline my project.

I'm creating a FAMILY TREE DVD with multiple menus (each menu representing a specific family). The object is to encompass extended family as well as ancestry up to the current generation. The names for each person that appear on the menu are links to a slideshow (and usually a very short one at that - perhaps 3 to 5 pix). As you've guessed, I've reached the limit of 99 slideshows but with barely having gone past the 1.5 GB mark.

In order to meet the desired objective of this project, it would be preferable to have all the slideshows contained on the one DVD as this way, the interconnections between the various families can be more easily demonstrated.

Anyway, I know its a long shot as I've tried to do some research on this myself and have come up empty.

Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 4:35 PM

12 replies

Jul 17, 2008 6:55 PM in response to Karl Bildstein

AMENDMENT TO MY EARLIER POST:

I've found a work around using DVD Studio Pro. By making a movie in one track and using chapter markers, various slideshows can be created and then accessed by buttons on the DVD menu, which can then access different markers in the movie track. However there is one problem. Once the movie begins to play it will not stop at the next chapter marker (which is the beginning of a new slideshow) and return to the DVD menu. Is there a script that can be written to enhance the menu button functionality so that only the content between each chapter marker (which forms an individual slideshow) can be accessed from the menu button?

Jul 17, 2008 7:07 PM in response to Karl Bildstein

This limitation is part of the DVD specs. It's not a DVD SP limitation. It's the same in any other authoring app.

Is there a script that can be written to enhance the menu button functionality so that only the content between each chapter marker (which forms an individual slideshow) can be accessed from the menu button?

You can do this with stories. A story is simply an arrangement of chapters in a track, which will play a range of chapters you specify. Nothing prevents you from creating a story with a single chapter, which will only play until the next chapter.

That said, I have to say that most competing applications have a feature that lets you set a playlist of tracks and slideshows,etc much like you do in an iTunes list. For all the amazing power in it, DVD SP is perhaps the only app in its' segment without this kind of automation. It would allow you to link two or more slideshows without having to to keep updating a lot of end jumps or scripts.

Jul 17, 2008 7:41 PM in response to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi Adolfo,

Thanks so much for clarifying that for me. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain everything! I had actually just read over a chapter marker tutorial and come across the power of 'stories' and had come to the same conclusion you offered. Now, after reading your post, I feel confident that my problem should be solved.

If you don't mind, I just wanted to clarify something.

If I understand all this correctly, then I could theoretically have 99 seperate tracks (99 separate quicktime movies) each with up to 99 chapter markers (99 movies * 99 chapter markers in each = 9801 chapter markers / stories), and as long as I don't exceed the DVD's storage capacity, I would be able to have 9801 menu buttons, one each linked to every story / chapter marker?

Thanks again for your time in reading and responding to this.

Karl

Jul 17, 2008 8:03 PM in response to Karl Bildstein

Theoretically, yes you're correct.
Realistically, I imagine such a project would be incredibly painful to author and a nightmare for a DVD player in physical terms... and as a consequence to the user.

I have never seen a project with 99 tracks, each with 99 chapters. So I can only try to guess how painful it could be.

If you're considering such a giant, you may as well plan it as a multi-disc set.

Jul 17, 2008 9:19 PM in response to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi Adolfo,

Thanks a million for your responses! I agree, my theoretical example would be crazy for anyone to attempt. I simply wanted to see if my understanding of the concepts involved were correct.

My project is in no way even close to my theoretical example - in fact I only have in the neighbourhood of about 170 individual picture slideshows - and I was originally stumped when I realized that the DVD standard has a limit of 99 separate tracks... thus the reason for my original post.

Now that I know I can simply combine multiple slideshows into a single video track and use chapter markers and stories accessed by my individual buttons via scripts linked to chapter markers I am greatly relieved.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Karl

Jul 17, 2008 9:29 PM in response to Adolfo Rozenfeld

99 title limit - this includes Tracks and Stories!

I would imagine a project like this would be possible with chapter end jumps although ,like you guys said, it would be a PITA.

No way to get beyond the 99 title limit in DVDSP. Tracks and stories are counted as 1 title each so the limits includes both tracks and stories. I could see having up to 99 Tracks and 99 chapters while including chapter end jumps for each slide show section. Like Aldolfo said this might put pressure on a player. Remember DVDSP is still an abstraction layer tool, hiding most of the mundane DVD details from the author.

This title would be a breeze in a spec tool, like the studios use to author their titles. Your still limited to 99 tracks (VTS) but these tools give you access to such things as PGCs and Programs. In fact, this title could be done with 1 track(VTS) in such a tool.

and....I wouldn't want to target 9801 separate Buttons 🙂

Message was edited by: Eric Pautsch1

Jul 17, 2008 10:00 PM in response to Eric Pautsch1

Hey Eric,

Wow... I'm pretty much a newbie to DVD authoring... and I appreciate both you and Adolfo helping out with your experienced advice.

One quick question for you if you don't mind - do you think my plan of around 170 separate slideshows (contained within the 99 track limitation) and accessed through buttons scripted to go to a specific section (ie - slideshow) and then end-jump back to the menu at the end of that section will be too much for a standard DVD player to handle?

Also, I'm a little unclear on how at the end of a particular slideshow (section of a track) without the use of stories will I get DVDSP to recognize that its time to 'end-jump' back to the menu from which that slideshow was launched?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Karl

Jul 17, 2008 10:12 PM in response to Karl Bildstein

It shouldn't be a problem for most players. Now if you were to fill all 99 tracks with 99 chapters and target 9801 section It might raise concern...but your not doing that.

Each chapter has a "Chapter End Jump" in the Inspector. Once the chapters done playing it will jump back to whatever menu you'd like. In your case - For 170 different sections, you would need to make 1 Track with 99 chapters and a second track with 71 chapters. Each chapters end jump will be set to return to a particular menu.

It would be impossible to use tracks and stories for this project since your limited to 99 titles (this includes tracks and stories). This is a nice (and Only) way to get around DVDSP 99 title limit.

Message was edited by: Eric Pautsch1

Jul 18, 2008 9:39 AM in response to Karl Bildstein

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately, Eric's instructions won't work; but he's on the right path 🙂

You can only have 52 of your chapters in a Track be assigned an end jump, due to abstraction layer behind the scenes overhead, and the fact that DVD SP unnecessarily duplicates the same cell command for each marker/cell's end jump to the same place - long story.

So, to get 171 chapter end jumps, you'd need to space them out over 4 Tracks, with no more than 50 so chapters with end jumps in each.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVD Verification, Proofing, Pre-mastering

Jul 18, 2008 12:11 PM in response to Trai_Forrester

Hi Trai,

Thank you for letting me know. I'm really appreciative of all the helpful advice everyone is so willing to share.

Now, armed with the advice from you, Eric and Adolfo I feel I should have smooth sailing! Of course, my inexperience is probably going to lead me to another situation on this project that will stump me, but it sure is nice to know that help is a forum post away!

Thanks again!

Karl

Is there any way to go beyond the 99 TRACKS of content limitation for a DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.