Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3G iPhone and BMW Dock Adapter

I've got a first generation iPhone, an '07 BMW 525 xi, and the BMW console mounted iPhone dock adapter. It works great with the gen 1 phone - charges the phone, uses the built in voice recognition system of the BMW, and plays through the speaker system. I'm planning to get a 3G iPhone and wonder if anyone has any experience with the new phone and the existing BMW dock adapter? Since the dock adapter is a $149 option, I'd rather not have to replace the one I have if I upgrade the phone. (For those unsure of the dock adapter, it snaps into the car's between the seat console

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz 32GB, 3 TB Storage, MBP 2.4, 2-MB, MBP 2.0, 2 MB 2.0, iMac 2.8, Mac OS X (10.5.3), More iPods than people, a new 32 GB Touch and 16 GB iPhone

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 9:38 PM

9 replies

Jul 17, 2008 9:51 PM in response to Marc Feldesman

Well, supposedly Apple has removed the ability to charge the 3G via a FireWire cable. The majority of the car adapters used the FireWire charging pins on the dock connector because it was for 12 vdc, while the USB charging pins are only 5.5 vdc. Ask BMW if the adapter you currently have uses the FireWire 12 vdc pins or the USB 5.5 vdc pins via a voltage regulator.

Jul 21, 2008 11:22 AM in response to Marc Feldesman

Marc, good news and bad news I'm afraid!

I have a UK spec 335i Coupe which has the full Bluetooth kit and console adaptor. The new 3G phone just about fits in AND charges but it's a little awkward removing it (the new on/off switch is slightly taller).

The bad news is that the address book no longer loads and I have no voice dialling etc anymore.

I spoke to BMW in the UK and they were surprised that I could even make calls on the phone!

Pity really because the first version iPhone worked beautifully but hey, that's progress for you.

Jul 21, 2008 11:35 AM in response to Cookie UK

That's odd, I have a US 2008 535i with the connector in the console and Bluetooth. It is not giving me any indication that it is charging (but in all fairness it doesn't on the Classic either but that charges), but I can control my library, etc. On the Bluetooth side I get all the entries in my phonebook (I only got 9 on my Treo 650) but I have not tried voice dialing. I am getting the Bluetooth echo that others have mentioned.

Jul 28, 2008 2:12 AM in response to GeoFairbanks

I have a 2008 120i with console USB (iPod) connector (not iDrive). Previous iPods connect and play fine(but very slow at browsing the tracks). My new iPhone 3G charges but does not connect when plugged into the USB.

I tried the very expensive BMW ipod adaptor that splits a 3.5mm stero plug from the USB and that worked but the iPhone told me it was an unsupported accessory and asked if I wanted to turn on flight mode to reduce interference! I said no and it worked ok (It recognised it as an iPod thanks to the cable and was much faster than my other iPod) but the sound was very quiet and muffled so no good, especially for the money for the cable. (and the iPhone crashed after I disconnected)

Connecting via BT gives full phone and contact access without problems. I guess this is the price we pay for buying fancy things and hoping that they work together. If the BMW cable audio was good and didn't cause problems with the iPhone then it would be worth it.

Jul 31, 2008 2:19 PM in response to Marc Feldesman

I think I need to clarify my question. Both the Mini and the BMW with iDrive have a between the front seat console into which a snap-in adapter for various phones can be fitted. This is not a standard accessory and isn't included with any of the packages. You just have to go into the BMW/Mini dealer and purchase the correct snap-in adapter for your phone. There are about 10 different phones supported, including the 1st generation iPhonea. These adapters cost about $150. They are interchangeable between the BMW and the Mini and so I pop mine in and out of the two cars. I know that the "fit" of the new iPhone is pretty tight (I've actually pulled the adapter out and taken it into an Apple store). The phone "pops" out somewhat difficultly. But, since I am not thrilled about the prospect of having to pay a 10% restocking fee to find out the right answer, I am relying on others who've tested this out to help me out.

Both the Mini and BMW have their own built-in Blue Tooth and Voice Recognition. The snap-in adapter has nothing to do with those systems and the iPhone (1st gen) works inside or outside the snap-in adapter and plays through the speakers in voice mode. The adapter recharges the phone and amplifies the cellular signal by running it through the car's antenna. This is the function I'm looking for by asking these questions. ATT coverage in my area is suboptimal compared to Verizon (which I also have). The snapin adapter strengthens the signal and makes the reception far superior to the Verizon signal I get without the adapter. I could live without the adapter, but it becomes an expensive piece of unusable electronics.

I'm also now concerned that the force required to snap the phone into the adapter might damage the apparently fragile plastic shell on the new generation iPhone.

Anyway, I just want to clarify that I'm not talking about cables or plugs or anything like that. The snapin adapter is a 6" by about 2" wide piece of plastic with electrical connectors top and bottom into which the phone is cradled in the center console of the car.

Message was edited by: Marc Feldesman

Aug 9, 2008 3:36 AM in response to Marc Feldesman

I have a BMW Serie 5 with iPod connector. With iPhone 1.0, charging battery and playing music was ok, with iPhone 3G, you can't charge anymore (surely the 5V usb vs 12V FW). This is quite...

And as you may know, charging is quite important with iPhone 3G ! Weird to have change to charging voltage without notification. Same problem with iPod HIFI. No charging anymore...

3G iPhone and BMW Dock Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.