Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Request: Auto toggle between edge and 3g anteanna for voice vs. data

I would like to see the edge antenna take priority for voice, then auto toggle 3G when surfing GPS and so on. I have a hunch this toggling would improve battery like. I think the Treo works in this fashion. Where does that nify link reside?

2.4 ghz 24' Imac, Macbook, Iphone g3 16 gb white, Mac OS X (10.4.4), OSX and Vista Ultimate

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 7:06 AM

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
7 replies

Jul 18, 2008 7:45 AM in response to steve copeland

Apple states 1/2 the talk time on 3G. I can not imagine that 3G only saps more battery life for data and not voice.I suspect the antenna is drawing more power whenever I see that nifty 3G icon. Which is 90% of the time for me.

iPhone 3G offers up to 5 hours of talk time on 3G, 10 hours of talk time on 2G,1 5 hours of Internet use on 3G2, 6 hours of Internet use on Wi-Fi,3 7 hours of video playback,4 or 24 hours of audio playback5 on a full charge at original capacity. In addition, iPhone features up to 300 hours of standby time.6

Jul 18, 2008 8:27 AM in response to Bryan Debnam

Far be it for me to disagree with you as I only have 15 years working in mobile networks..... But yes it does. 3G is always on and exchanging data with the network. Edge is a reactive protocol and effectively 'dials' the connection every time you make a data demand. That is how edge works over the top of the voice channel.

When the 3G icon disappears it is because you are out of range of a 3G signal but the chip is still hunting for a connection and will consume power.

I suspect this is why Apple went 2G in the first place and only went 3G as a result of market pressure. 3G devices have always had terrible battery requirements.

Jul 18, 2008 8:41 AM in response to steve copeland

Not to be argumentative but this isn't correct.

When your iPhone says 3G it means that it is using UMTS (W-CDMA) for both Voice and Data connections. This is a very different protocol and works over different frequencies than GSM.

When your iPhone says EDGE then it is using the GSM network for Voice on a GSM Cell that supports EDGE specific data enhancements to increase data throughput over normal GSM data (GPRS).

Finally when your iPhone doesn't say EDGE or 3G then it is on a GSM Cell that doesn't support the EDGE data enhancements.

So really the 3G iPhone has to choose between two different Cellular technologies, 2G (GSM) or 3G (UMTS) and the device can't communicate on both of these technologies at the same time.

Have a read of the wiki pages for more information:
UMTS (WCDMA): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA
GSM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM

Hope this clears things up.
-- Colm.

Jul 19, 2008 7:05 AM in response to colmdc

Actually it is correct but depends on where you are based. I am giving the UK angle.

3G networks in general are notorious power drains, but the network type used by AT&T is particularly power-hungry because voice calls use the same mobile broadband network as data tasks. In contrast, the EvDO technology on which Sprint and Verizon base their 3G networks supports data only; voice uses older CDMA networks, which (in theory at least) use less power.

Request: Auto toggle between edge and 3g anteanna for voice vs. data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.