Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

maps location feature question (also a subway app question)

Hi:
I am in New York with my touch and am wondering if I need to be connected to a wifi hotspot to use the location feature on maps. I am at a friends apt and connected to her wifi and it works great. However, if I go somewhere that has wifi available but is locked or has a pay or authorization feature, it doesn't. I could have sworn that I saw somewhere that the ipod could get my location without being on wifi, just around wifi thanks

Also, I installed the $10 iTrans NYC for the ipod via the app store. Its not really what I expected. Its good that I can use it without wifi, however, I cant get street directions from where I am to the nearest subway station. Any pointers or other apps?
Thanks

MBP, MB, iMac G5, iMac Aluminum, TC 500GB, iPod Touch, 16Gb, AX, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 11:43 AM

1 reply

Jul 21, 2008 6:24 AM in response to Tyler Parker

With the IPT, you need an internet connection for Maps to work - your location is plotted on Google Maps, and your IPT need a network connection to download the map (there's no local storage).

Same thing applies to getting street directions to the nearest subway - that plugs the subway station into the End field of Maps, and your current location into Start. BUt you'd need an active internet connection for that to work. The only thing the iTrans NYC can do offline is provide directions from one subway station to another, since those are stored as part of the app itself.

Hope this helps...

maps location feature question (also a subway app question)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.