Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rollback iPod Touch to Original Firmware

Call me crazy but I want to roll my Firmware all the way back to before 2.0 and before Jan update. I am sick of all this stuff not working and really I just want my original iPod Touch back. Every time I restore my iPod Touch it puts 2.0 back, how can I avoid this and flash back to the original version? Please help!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 8:56 PM

You do it this way:

1. Locate a copy of iTunes 7.5 (Google is your friend, in this regard).

2. Before installing iTunes 7.5, move your current copy of iTunes out of the Applications folder to a safe place. Likewise, move the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files out of the iTunes folder within your Music folder to a similarly safe place.

3. Install iTunes 7.5 and launch it. All the contents of your iTunes library will be gone because you’ve moved those iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files. Don’t worry, we’ll restore those entries by the time we finish.

4. Plug your iPod touch into your Mac. iTunes will throw up a message that says the iPod is not compatible with this version of iTunes. Don’t fret about it.

5. Hold down the iPod’s Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for a slow count of 10. Let go of the Sleep/Wake button while continuing to hold the Home button. Eventually iTunes will throw up an alert that an iPod has been found in recovery mode. Click OK to dismiss the dialog box.

6. Hold down the Option key and click Restore in the iPod Summary tab. In the dialog box that appears, navigate to youruserfolder/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates and select the version of the iPod touch software that you want to downgrade to. (If your iPod was up-to-date prior to the 2.0 upgrade, it’s likely the iPod1,1 1.1.5_4B1Restore.ipsw file).

iTunes will restore your iPod to this version. (Note that when you’re asked to restore files from a previous backup of your data, you must choose a backup that you performed prior to the 2.0 upgrade installation. iTunes won’t understand what a current backup is all about because it was performed under 2.0.)

7. Quit iTunes 7.5 and move it out of the Applications folder. Replace it with the current version 7.7. Return to the iTunes folder inside your Music folder and remove the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml and replace them with the versions of these files that you moved in Step 2.

8. Fire up iTunes 7.7 and your music library should return to its previously present state. iTunes will recognize your iPod touch as whatever version you downgraded it to.

9. If you later want to move back to 2.0, it’s as easy to do as clicking the Update button in the iPod preference’s Summary tab.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2008 8:56 PM in response to portagee

You do it this way:

1. Locate a copy of iTunes 7.5 (Google is your friend, in this regard).

2. Before installing iTunes 7.5, move your current copy of iTunes out of the Applications folder to a safe place. Likewise, move the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files out of the iTunes folder within your Music folder to a similarly safe place.

3. Install iTunes 7.5 and launch it. All the contents of your iTunes library will be gone because you’ve moved those iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files. Don’t worry, we’ll restore those entries by the time we finish.

4. Plug your iPod touch into your Mac. iTunes will throw up a message that says the iPod is not compatible with this version of iTunes. Don’t fret about it.

5. Hold down the iPod’s Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for a slow count of 10. Let go of the Sleep/Wake button while continuing to hold the Home button. Eventually iTunes will throw up an alert that an iPod has been found in recovery mode. Click OK to dismiss the dialog box.

6. Hold down the Option key and click Restore in the iPod Summary tab. In the dialog box that appears, navigate to youruserfolder/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates and select the version of the iPod touch software that you want to downgrade to. (If your iPod was up-to-date prior to the 2.0 upgrade, it’s likely the iPod1,1 1.1.5_4B1Restore.ipsw file).

iTunes will restore your iPod to this version. (Note that when you’re asked to restore files from a previous backup of your data, you must choose a backup that you performed prior to the 2.0 upgrade installation. iTunes won’t understand what a current backup is all about because it was performed under 2.0.)

7. Quit iTunes 7.5 and move it out of the Applications folder. Replace it with the current version 7.7. Return to the iTunes folder inside your Music folder and remove the iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml and replace them with the versions of these files that you moved in Step 2.

8. Fire up iTunes 7.7 and your music library should return to its previously present state. iTunes will recognize your iPod touch as whatever version you downgraded it to.

9. If you later want to move back to 2.0, it’s as easy to do as clicking the Update button in the iPod preference’s Summary tab.

Rollback iPod Touch to Original Firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.