Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

annoying startup window

Hello all. I have annoying startup windows from a Brother Multi-function printer (printer, scanner, copier, fax machine)that appear at startup just when the desktop has loaded. My machine is the Early 2001 iMac model, 500 MHz, 20 GB HD, 256 mb ram, running both OS 9.2.2 and 10.3.9 but always with the latter. I installed the printer software on the iMac but then decided to use my G3 Blue and White Power Mac instead and therefore the printer is not connected to the iMac. The problem is, at startup 2 popup windows appear that first says "Brother Device Selector" which I must close only to have the second window open that says "Brother Control Center" which also needs to be closed before being able to do anything else. This only occurs with OS 10.3.9. I know that in OS 9.2.2, removing annoying startup items is done by taking them out from the startup folder in the system folder. But can this startup window be removed in OS 10.3.9? Also, when these windows open, the Brother MFC icon is present in the menu bar. So, when I have clicked on it, the dropdown menu shows the selections "open, preferences, about, and quit." I have clicked preferences and unchecked the checked boxes that say, "show control center windows at startup" and "show splash screen at startup" and then clicked the OK button for that window which should turn off those 2 annoying windows. But then when I reopen the preferences again, both boxes are checked again! And this always happens. And this problem prevents the iMac from starting up as quick as it should and did before I installed this printer software. I've looked all over inside the OS 10 system folder but I cannot find anything that I recognize and would be able to discard. I am trying to remedy this problem without having to completely discard and reinstall OS 10.3 all over again. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

iBookG4

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 10:15 PM

5 replies

Jul 19, 2008 9:33 AM in response to john nyto

I've not heard of it before. We have a Brother laser printer and the software for it does not give a splash screen. However I know MF devices get more support software installed.

I'm checking this from 10.4.11 but I think the items are about the same in 10.3 Panther. Open System Preferences > Accounts and make sure your user is displayed. There is a tab for "log-in items." It shows what is set to auto-launch at startup, like the startup items in OS9.

If Brother software shows up in the list, highlight each item and click the "minus" button below the pane to remove it/them.

If you can't find the log-in items there, post back and I'll fire up the old Beige G3--our last machine running Panther--and see if it's someplace else in that OS version.

If this fails to please, or the device refuses to work properly without the log-in items, then it's time to contact Brother.

Jul 19, 2008 11:32 PM in response to john nyto

I don't have experience with Brother printers, but the equivalent of Mac OS 9's "Startup Items" folder for Mac OS X is in System Preferences Accounts pane. For your normal user account, go to the +Login Items+ tab. If there is anything related to Brother there, select it and click on the minus sign at the bottom of the list to remove it. You must remove it; checking and unchecking does not do anything expect hide/unhide.

Sep 13, 2008 7:44 AM in response to rat666

Welcome!

If you're not seeing something like that in Accounts > Login items, contacting Brother is certainly in order. Also I suggest you repost in either the MacBook Pro area here:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=190

or the Leopard OS area here:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=235

Mining up a months-old post and appending yours to it is not the best way to get your requests quickly noticed. If you have trouble figuring out how to make a new post (not always immediately apparent with the current forum software vendor), please review this information:

http://discussions.apple.com/ann.jspa?annID=650

annoying startup window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.