Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G3 (USB): Unable to connect to the internet

Good Morning;
I am having a problem with my iBook G3 Model M7701ll, 600 mhz which I just bought. The iBook is running OS 10.4.7

I live remote and my only connection to the web is dial up with a 24.4K connection on my G4 using a external USB Modem.

I have configured the iBook exactly the same as my G4.

Using Network Diagnostics I find the following after a connection;
Modem shows good
Modem Status is Good
Network is Good

I get a connection and I am authenticated with my Userid and Password

ISP shows good

Internet Failed
Server Failed

SO, I am connected, authenticated, but can not connect to any thing on the web. No matter what URL I use, I get the screen that says server not found.

This condition exists with the internal modem and my external USB modem.

There is no problem whatsoever with my USB Modem or phone line as I can do immediate connects ( as I am here now) on my G4.

I beat on this till midnight last night with no win. Can anyone shed some light on what my problem may be.

Dont laugh about my 24.4K connection LOL !

Paul

PowerMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 19, 2008 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2008 12:54 AM

Hi Paul, I too am on dial-up. 🙂

Make sure Header compression is on, then put these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers...

8 replies

Jul 20, 2008 8:01 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua;

Many thanks for your post ! I already had compression turned on. By adding the DNS numbers, my modem/iBook came alive and now works great with dial up on the web....Thank You !

I felt it was something simple as the iBook works great on the airport card. Yesterday, I went to the village library that has wifi. I up graded my new install of 10.4.7 to 10.4.11, effortlessly. My problem appeared to be that once connected and authenticated by dial up, Firefox or Safari could not communicate with the web.

Now, so I can learn from this. What does adding those DNS numbers do to the connection/ or iBook ? On my PowerMac G4, I dont have those DNS numbers entered and its been running great on dial up for 3 years. Whats different with the iBook ?

You want to believe that those DNS numbers are written down in my Black Book, I wont forget this one LOL

Also my thanks to APPLE INC for hosting these forums. What a valuable resource. Without them, I have no idea where I would have found the 'fix'.

Thank You
Paul

Jul 20, 2008 3:51 PM in response to wm300

Great news Paul, and thank you too! 🙂

Now, so I can learn from this. What does adding those DNS numbers do to the connection/ or iBook ? On my PowerMac G4, I dont have those DNS numbers entered and its been running great on dial up for 3 years. Whats different with the iBook ?

OK, they're OpenDNS' numbers...

http://www.opendns.com/how/dns/turning-names-into-numbers

Sometimes Macs & Routers/Modems don't communicate DNS numbers correctly... usually they are stored in the Router or Modem. Also some ISPs DNS servers are pretty flaky, and OpenDNS has been far more reliable for years than many of the big names you'd expect to be better.

Safari uses those System Numbers while Firefox uses it's own.

You might get a speedup by using those numbers for the PM/G4 too... or not.

PS. You might thank Ronda personally, as she watches this forum like a hawk, and asked for help from the other L4/L5s... otherwise I'd never seem it as I've only been to the book forums a couple of times... and then on her behest! 🙂

Jul 20, 2008 4:26 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua;
Thanks for the information and link on DNS. I will read the link later this evening. I will also give the DNS numbers a shot on my G4.....it may raise my speed from 24.4K to 30K ha ha ha.

Ronda;

Thank you for your personal interest in my connect problem. I sincerely appreciate your forwarding to to BDAqua for resolution. I am good to go now !

Paul

Jul 21, 2008 5:07 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua;
Yes, its very old Bad phone lines. I live very remote in the Mountains. We still have sections of Lead Outer Jacket cable with paper insulation dating from the 1930's. Lots of noise on the lines, especially after rain. Verizon refuses to run all new cable, they just replace sections as required to keep dial tone up. They have conditioned my line, playing with the load coils and I am at the best they can/will do. There is family further up the mountain that connects at 14.4K, so I am blessed LOL ! I am lucky to have a private line (my own copper pair tot he switch in the village. Some homes still have party lines ( in 2008) LOL !!

My only other choice is satellite, but that would require cutting major timber to get a sat shot as I am deep in the forest. My best hope is Internet over the power lines which appears to be working well in some areas.

My new iBook, with airport, now opens a new world for me. I can go to the village library where they have wifi and do whatever I need on the web at high speed (they have roadrunner). So for large downloads, I now have an option. As bad as all this may sound, and it is, Its a wonderful way of life in the mountains which I would not trade just for high speed inteernet.

Thanks for your interest.

Paul

iBook G3 (USB): Unable to connect to the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.