Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTune 6 / QT 7 update install error - neither works!

Tried to update orig. iTune 4.7 to 6.0.1. NAV 05 turned off, No NIS (have firewall in router, running XP Pro SP2, latest XP updates (auto), XP firewall on. Disaster! Got error message that QT update failed. Neither QT or iTune will open. Tried repair. Uninstalled iTune. Cannot uninstall QT. Does not show in Add/Remove Programs. Uninstall program located in QT folder starts and just disappears...
Ran reg clean up utility, deleted temp files, tried reinstall. Same error "0x80040707 DLL function call crashed: QTInstallCode.QTPostInstallProc"...
If a QT media file is double clicked, error is 'Exception occurred while trying to run "C:\Windows|System32\shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime.cpl", QuickTime"'...
Tried to install stand alone QT 7.0.3, no luck. Also tried to install older version of QT 6.5, and even iTune 4.7. No luck. Same error. QT icon is in tray and will right click open Preferences/Settings dialog. Will display all tabs except File Types, there get same RunDLL error and closes...
I can't figure out how to uninstall QT so that I can try a reinstall. All program files remain in QT folder...
I never should have tried to update to new version so soon after released...
Have read all forum threads and tried a lot of stuff. No positive results. Ready to give iPod 60GB Color away and forget Apple and iTunes. But still have problem of no QT for web browsing...
Any Suggestions would be appreciated...

Posted on Oct 24, 2005 7:34 PM

2 replies

Oct 25, 2005 1:57 AM in response to Craig Carr1

Morning Craig. very strange that QT is not in add/remove. The DLL error is a memory error. If you try to do another reg edit , make sure you have set your system restore. If you reg edit all the QT and iTunes stuff, you should be able to re load. You can try to delete the QT folder from your program files , but not sure if that will work due to no show in control panel. I will try to hack into my lap top and see if I can duplicate the same issue. Wish me luck. You might want to do a repair on the XP pro due to the RunDLL error. That is a really scary error. Also down load the windows installer at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884016

steve

Oct 25, 2005 12:44 PM in response to Fade to Black

QT & iTunes are working now! Got help from my son as well as all of the posts. Here's what we did:
Uninstalled iTunes. Could not uninstall QT, since it did not appear in Add/Remove, but we ran MS Install Cleanup Utility to clear registry, deleted all QT files in Temp folder, and then deleted everyting from Programs/QT folder. Rebooted computer. Adjusted D_Link Router firewall to put my computer in DMZ zone (essentially open with no protection). [Forgot to turn off XP firewall]...
Made sure Nortion Antivirus 05 was disabled, as well as AOL Spyware Protection...
Installed QT 7.0.3 stand alone version. Opened Preferences and disabled Content Guide & auto check for Updates so that QT would not try to access web. Checked to be sure QT was working properly...
Installed iTunes 6.0.1.3. Checked to see that it was working properly. All songs were present and available!..
Reset D-Link Router to put computer behind the firewall again. Then retested QT and iTunes. Both worked...
Not positive the hardware firewall had any affect, but didn't hurt to turn it off while testing. The big thing was clearing out corrupted QT by erasing all files in Programs/QT folder, Temp folder, cleaning registry with MS utility, and rebooting computer to insure clean install...
Still have no idea why QT got corrupted on update install. Before turning off hardware firewall, I had tried to install stand alone versions (7.0.3 & older 6.5) and install gave error at end every time, even after cleaning up computer as stated above. So, no firewall may have helped. Turning off all QT functions that try to access web automatically before turning firewall back on may have helped...
NAV is now on, XP firewall on, D-Link router firewall on, and system is working. Have not yet turned AOL SpyWare Protection back on...
Did not yet run XP Repair or download MS Installer and reinstall that app...
Hope this helps someone else. Actually the "Lorraine Fix" post gave us the best idea of how to proceed, but other info helped, as in getting copy of MS Registy Cleanup Utility, and deletion of QT temp and program folder files to get rid of corrupt install...
Thanks a lot to Fade to Black, Lorraine, b Noir, and all.
Now, I'm keeping the 60GB Color iPod and the son will have to wait for his 40GB gray screen to return from the repair shop. Hard drive failed. Unfortunately, this forum can't help solve that problem!!!
Thanks again,
c

iTune 6 / QT 7 update install error - neither works!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.