Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to re-identify keyboard...

I recently bought a Razer Lycosa keyboard, and when the keyboard assistant popped up, I accidently chose the wrong type. Now I cannot use the option and command button, is there anyway I can re-identify it? Maybe theres software out there, or maybe I can re-run Keyboard Assistant. I've tried running it from the /System/Library/Core Services, but when I click it, I get no result, any help guys?

Thanks in advanced... 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 17" Glossy Widescreen DisplayCore Duo 2.16GHz1GB RAM120GB HDD

Posted on Jul 20, 2008 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2008 10:07 AM

Folloing solved it for me:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist

and then reboot. After reboot the Assistant aks again, bingo !
8 replies

Jul 20, 2008 1:36 PM in response to AbOoD2rUdE

Have you tried searching Help for changing keyboard type?
{quote}When you connect a keyboard that is not immediately recognized, Keyboard Setup Assistant automatically opens so that you can specify the keyboard type (ANSI, JIS, or ISO). There are three keyboard types that Mac OS X recognizes: ISO (Europe), JIS (Japan), and ANSI. The ANSI keyboard is a standard 101-key layout widely used in the U.S., North America, and many other parts of the world.

If you’re having trouble with your keyboard, you may need to specify the type manually. You can use Keyboard & Mouse preferences to open Keyboard Setup Assistant and specify the keyboard type.

To specify the keyboard type:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Keyboard & Mouse.

Click Keyboard.

Click the Change Keyboard Type button.

Follow the onscreen instructions when Keyboard Setup Assistant appears.
{quote}

Need to re-identify keyboard...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.