Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong OS 10.2.8 on my IMac G3

Hi I bought an Imac G3,that has the OS 10.2.8 (6R73) which is recommended for G5 only. From what I've learned, I should have the OS 10.2.8 (6R65). Of course I did not get any software when I bought it. The problem I'm having is creating an email account be it with Yahoo or any other mail service. This Imac is strickly going to be used to send and receive emails, chat on different forums and searching the Internet. What can I do that will not incur purchasing expensive hardware or software?

Imac G3, Mac OS X (10.2.x), 350 Mhz processor

Posted on Jul 20, 2008 1:41 PM

8 replies

Jul 20, 2008 2:23 PM in response to howdymac

iMac G3s never came with any version of OS X, so any version works up through Panther or Tiger depending on how old the machine is. What makes you think the version you have is the wrong one? G5 iMacs require 10.3.5 or later. Jaguar does not work on a G5 iMac. Only the first G5 desktop was delivered with a version of Jaguar - 10.2.7.

There is no 6R73 or 6R65 version of Jaguar listed as included with any Mac: Mac OS - Versions builds included with computers (since 1998).

Jul 20, 2008 5:03 PM in response to howdymac

Those are simply build versions. They are not stipulated as required for a particular model, rather the build supplied with that version number.

You have a G3 iMac. Basically any version of OS X from 10.0 to 10.4.11 will work unless it's a first or second generation iMac in which case up through 10.3.9. Any retail version, just don't use a machine specific OEM (gray labeled) version because those are machine specific and may not work.

Jul 20, 2008 5:12 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

I found this Apple Knowledge Base article "Mac OS X 10.2.8, G5: About the Mac OS X 10.2.8 (G5) Update".

It states:

"Important: This update works only with Power Mac G5 computers. To update a different kind of computer to Mac OS X 10.2.8, refer to technical document 25524, "Mac OS X: About the Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update"."

Not sure if that means that it is or is not a problematic update installed on the OP's machine.

regards,

littleshoulders 🙂

Wrong OS 10.2.8 on my IMac G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.