Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Roaming: on or off?

When not travelling abroad, should Data Roaming be set on or off?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 21, 2008 4:10 PM

10 replies

Aug 14, 2008 3:41 PM in response to JakeP

Having international data roaming off does NOT prevent you from being charged for using Edge network for data transfer. I had mine turned off while in the caribbean but was still charged for using data. Apple needs to make a way for us to turn off the phone functions (calling and data), but leave wifi and the other functions usable (ipod, safari, notes, etc). I thought the international data roaming OFF function was their answer to the issue, but it definitely did not solve my problem.

Sep 18, 2008 11:22 PM in response to clarkkent26

yes i know but unfortunately this work only when you're abroad.
i'd like to have this functionality ALSO where'm at home.
i've, in fact, the choice to use another carrier, here, in my country, for free voice, but data are not allowed.
disable roaming data NOT works for that, iPhone should have a list of ntional carriers and in the same country not consider roaming with other carriers a true roaming.
hope is clearer now

Oct 9, 2008 12:51 PM in response to grebliv

I absolutely agree with you, *ROAMING is so called roaming off ..._its not really off*_ FYI there are iPhone owners like you & me with $4000 bill.

This is stealing! Gouging in your pockets, make client's pay like this is not (APPLE.) *As a Conclusion* Apple must fix this (if roaming is OFF then it must not get any data). +Must not retrieve data if email and/or browser wasn't used, why pay for it?+

In Canada I called my carrier (Fido) they can not help me on this, however they are willing to work it out if it happens. I was advised to remove my email accounts, take Battery out *(if you can)* of *leave your iPhone at home!* else you will be billed in $$$$

Data Roaming: on or off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.