Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Store Local Copies of Sent Messages with IMAP?

1879 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2008 11:02 AM by jackenapes RSS
Eric D. Level 2 Level 2 (185 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 21, 2008 5:24 PM
I'm using IMAP in Apple Mail for Leopard but can't figure out how to automatically save local copies of my sent mail. Now I know that everything that's synced with the IMAP mail server is technically local while it exists but sent mail will disappear if you have the server setting set to delete sent messages after a certain period of time. I need to do that otherwise my server mailbox will go over quota. The problem is, the local copy is also deleted. For incoming mail, I can easily configure a rule to copy Mail to save local copies but I don't see a way to do that for sent mail other than doing a BCC every time I send a message. Anyone know the trick to save sent mail?
1 Ghz G4 PowerBook 17", Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2 Gigs RAM
  • Max Lonneux1 Calculating status...
    Sep 17, 2008 12:23 AM (in response to Eric D.)
    The only way I found is to "Cci" myself for every message I send, then add a rule in Mail so that all incoming mail from myself are set in a dedicated mailbox, "on my Mac".
    I had to do it since recently Mail is not reliable in terms of synchronization with the IMAP server : I have the preference set at "never delete a sent message from the server", and anyway it keeps deleting everything that is older than 1 month !
    iMac Intel, dual G5 Power Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • jackenapes Calculating status...
    Sep 17, 2008 6:28 PM (in response to Eric D.)
    In Entourage you can set a rule to copy "outgoing" messages that will catch & copy all your sent mail but I'm SICK of Entourage with only this exception: why can't we apply rules to FOLDERS? I know there's probably some script or automator command to copy the IMAP folder contents to a local folder but that's a whole language unto itself (that I don't know).

One thing I love about macs, though, is that some benevolent genius will see this and help us poor plebes out! The cc/bcc option is a non-starter because it clutters up the inbox. There's just got to be a way!
    MB Pro, iMac, PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iPhone, Airport Extreme 801.11n, 3 Airport Express, 30gb & 80gb iPods
  • Jeffrey McGowan Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    Sep 18, 2008 10:41 AM (in response to jackenapes)
    you don't need to leave them in inbox just make the rule move not copy. Still wish you could get to sent in rules since. I want a local copy of all but also want to cc myself on some.
    Aluminum iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • jackenapes Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    If I move them they won't be on the server, though, and I won't be able to access via iPhone or other computers (which is the whole reason for IMAP as far as I'm concerned). One of the benevolent geniuses (Thanks V.K.) came to the rescue. It's a two-step process that's far from perfect, and I'm sure there's a way to automate it and improve upon it, but the following script will copy everything in your IMAP sent mailbox to a local folder, then the link below contains a script that will remove duplicates. The "INBOX/Sent" below is just what mine is called - yours might be different. To find out highlight a message in the mailbox and run this:

tell application "Mail"
    selection
    end tell

Then once you know mailbox names you can do this:

tell application "Mail"
    copy (every message of mailbox "INBOX/Sent" of account "xxx") to (mailbox "Local xxx")
    end tell

then go to http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.21/21.09/ScriptingMail/index.html and get the dupe remover because every time you run the script it will copy the entire folder (unless you purge sent messages older than date of your last script run).
    MB Pro, iMac, PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iPhone, Airport Extreme 801.11n, 3 Airport Express, 30gb & 80gb iPods

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.