5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2009 6:01 AM by Timothy Holt
Timothy Holt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have not upgraded to Leopard for two reasons.

I have 850,000 images (backup and variations etc.) on several disks, and need to do simple searches.

1, Apple has removed the "other" button from search. I need to be able to search in more than one location, and only those locations, but not all locations for files (otherwise I have too many results). One can no longer select disks or folders.

2. So, I can do my search and find every file - but there are no options for viewing the results of a search - name, kind and date modified are somewhat useless when you need to identify which is which in 20 identical looking files, not longer date created, size, label etc. - so the search function is effectively useless.

It's as if they hired a Microsoft programmer.

I know there is no solution (even 3rd party applications) and I have had long discussions with tech support who are surprised these features have gone. So, the only thing to do is bang on at Apple to convince them to put this back...

Unless someone has another suggestion...

Powerbook 15", Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • 1. I have another suggestion
    Tom in London Level 4 Level 4 (1,585 points)
    My suggestion is: don't use spotlight. The whole concept is fundamentally flawed, it doesn't work isn't reliable, etc.

Use EasyFind.

End of suggestion.

btw don't expect Apple to do anything about this. They all think Spotlight is totally awesome.
  • 2. Re: Leopard - search weaknesses - no view options, "other" option missing
    Francine Schwieder Level 6 Level 6 (19,040 points)
    The chances of someone from Apple engineering seeing this are pretty much nil. You need to send feedback directly to Apple. You can do so here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html/

You also need to make one correction:

name, kind and date modified are somewhat useless

It is worse than that--date modified would sometimes be useful, but that isn't what we get. Instead we get the totally non-standard, and completely useless "date last opened."

Also, it IS possible to make a Smart Folder that will search two or more specific places, you can then bring it up and change the search term. I have one that searches my boot drive home folder and my data drive. But it isn't easy, and can't be done thru the Spotlight interface, you need to use either a text editing program or, better, a plist editor to modify the Saved Search Smart Folder.
    Francine

Francine
    Schwieder
  • 3. Re: Leopard - search weaknesses - no view options, "other" option missing
    baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (60,125 points)
    I consider using Apple's bug reporter system to be the most effective. Send bug reports and enhancement requests to Apple via its Bug Reporter system. Join the Apple Developer Connection (ADC)—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report/enhancement request. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.

Additionally, you might want to examine how I changed Finder's Find to be a bit more user-friendly. Whether or not you can tailor it to suit your specific needs, I can't say. See my post at http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6725932 or the tip at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080229204517495
  • 4. Re: Leopard - search weaknesses - no view options, "other" option missing
    Schneb Level 5 Level 5 (4,940 points)
    I agree with all the rants listed above. And especially with the attitude of Apple thinking how "Awesome" Spotlight is. Unfortunately, with that attitude, no matter how much we beg, plead, or demand via Feedback, it will never be fixed. It took an army of complaints just to get Boolean searches. And for our trouble, they changed so much of Spotlight's result layout, that it is useless once again.

Another bothersome thing is that Spotlight is tied to Finder and not to the OS. What I mean by that is that say I spent 6 months adding Spotlight Comments to all of my photos. Use Spotlight to find a particular photo? Great, there it is. However, bring the same photos into iPhoto, and all your commenting does not import. Not even a window menu asking if I want to do this.

Some people are using a combination of Spotless (to turn off Spotlight) and EasyFind. I do not blame them. However, I do like Spotlight and EasyFind will not recognize all my Spotlight Comment work.

I wish Apple cared. But I highly doubt they do. They think its all working just great--when its not.
  • 5. Re: Leopard - search weaknesses - no view options, "other" option missing
    Timothy Holt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    New Snow Leopard is better, but still no file size or label sort ability.