Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working mac system/solution for Canon XL2 MiniDV footage.

Hello,

Thanks everyone in advance for your help. I am an experienced still photographer with just a little bit of video/film experience. I recently purchased a Canon XL2 miniDV camcorder. I have an older
G4 Mac Pro laptop(1.5Ghz Power PC w/1GB RAM). I plan on buying a new computer to edit footage from the Canon XL2.

I chose the Canon based on price and 24P frame rate options. Is anyone out there using this camera,shooting in 24P modes, and editing on a Mac?

What new Mac would you recommend (tower, imac, or laptop), and how much RAM do I need/want.
Will Final Cut Express work with 24P frame rates from the Canon? Would you recommend Final Cut
Studio instead of FCE?

Thanks,
--ucityxl

G4 Power PC laptop, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2008 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2008 5:46 PM

I have been editing XL1s on a G4 tower with 2 gig RAM on FCP without any problem a couple of years ago.
Now I am editing on a lowly MacBook 2.4 in FCE. Footage from the XL1s works like like a breeze. However, I haven't used 24p, so I can't comment on this one.
IMHO, you only need FCS if you do highly professional work (broadcast, big screen). For anything else, FCS is overkill.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2008 5:46 PM in response to ucityxl

I have been editing XL1s on a G4 tower with 2 gig RAM on FCP without any problem a couple of years ago.
Now I am editing on a lowly MacBook 2.4 in FCE. Footage from the XL1s works like like a breeze. However, I haven't used 24p, so I can't comment on this one.
IMHO, you only need FCS if you do highly professional work (broadcast, big screen). For anything else, FCS is overkill.

Jul 23, 2008 9:29 AM in response to cgbier

Thanks cgbier for your comments and help.

I'm still hoping that someone out there has lots of experience with the Canon XL2 shooting 24P frm
rates and is able to give me some clues regarding new Mac models, hard drive space needed, and RAM #'s and config's (fill all slots)?

I am tempted to get an Imac based on price, but I don't want to regret this decision later if I find
I would have been a lot better off with a G5 Tower workstation, and a massive internal drive(s).

I just shot 3.5 hours of footage that I want to edit into some three minute short and ten minute
longer versions. I may buy FCE if readers using Canon XL2 at 24P 2:3 and 24P 2:3:3:2 frame rates
say FCE will totally do the job. If experienced Canon XL2 24P frame rate shooters say, "No dude,
you've gotta get FCStudio!" then I'd go that route.

Thanks again for any input.

P.S. I'd like to give a shout out to DaddyPaycheck who posted a comment once upon a time re
using a Canon GL model for tape transfer to computer to minimize wear and tear on his XL2.
Maybe DaddyPaycheck could weigh in with some advice for a beginner who wants to start out on
the right foot. CHEERS

Jul 23, 2008 11:43 AM in response to ucityxl

If you're buying a new Mac, you will want FCE4, not an older version. FCE4 supports NTSC & PAL DV, 720p30, 1080i50 & 1080i60 HDV & AVCHD formats. It does not support 24fps. If you require native 24fps you will need to go to FCStudio.

I believe there is a workaround for video filmed at 24p with 3:2 pulldown and captured as 1080i60 in FCE, but that may only be for HDV video. Tom or someone else who is more familiar with the intricacies of these kind of workarounds will have to weigh in.

As for Mac specs, 1) here are the FCE specs and FCStudio specs which you can use as guidance. For FCE, the sweet spot is 2GB RAM, 4GB RAM max. Hard drive space - get lots, 7200 rpm, 500GB system drive if you can afford it. Your 3.5 hours of HD footage, assuming it was 720p, will take up almost 90GB of hard drive space.

iMac vs MacPro was recently discussed at length in this post.

Jul 23, 2008 12:12 PM in response to MartinR

MartinR,

Thank you for your input regarding FCE4 vs FCStudio. Looks like I will go with FCStudio for the
24fps options.

So, I'll also go with an expandable G5 tower...I'm going next to the link to FCStudio specs you sent.
Do you have any other advice that may not be included in the FCStudio specs?

MartinR, you've saved me mondo aggravation so far. The next time you're in Saint Louis, MO, you've
got a free ticket to see Chuck Berry live and drink a cold beverage of your choice at Blueberry Hill on
Delmar Avenue.

I am still interested in hearing from any posters that have experience with Canon XL2 Mini DV, 24P
shooting rates. Foreseeable issues for an eager student consulting the Zen Masters?

CHEERS
--ucityxl

Working mac system/solution for Canon XL2 MiniDV footage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.