Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure ViaTalk (VoIP) Linksys Adapter for newbie...

Greetings Peers,

I just got my *Time Capsule (TC)* yesterday and absolutely have very limited experience with Airport Utility or networking - that said I somehow figured out how to setup a new secured wireless network and it is up & running!

Here's my dilemma, +Belkin N router (predecessor)+ to which I had this *ViaTalk (VoIP) Linksys Adapter* connected directly through the 1st port with ethernet cable, use to work fine. So, I just simply tried to replicate same connectivity with this new TC router but doesn't work!

_Comparable Past Tweaks_:

1) Can not figure out where the language is DMZ for TC

2) Can not judge if port forwarding is needed (if yes, is it even feasible?)

_On the bright side_:

1) ViaTalk tech support as advised to *turn off* Static IP configuration (from possible old settings)

2) Also advised to enable DHCP which should give me dial tone and should go live!

Wondering:

1) If anyone has success setting up similar VoIP service thru TC?

2) Is there a way to enable (turn ON) those 3 ports or are they always ON?

Will report my findings by tomorrow.
Cheers!

MacPro (work) iBook (home) Mac Mini (home) AppleTV Time Capsule (1TB, v7.3.2), Mac OS X (10.5.4), | 50" Samsung Plasma HDTV for Mac Mini | 30"  Cinema Display for MacPro

Posted on Jul 23, 2008 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2008 4:06 PM

The equivalent for the Belkin's DMZ is "default host" on the TC. In this case, you would enter the IP address of the ViaTalk adapter as the default host.

You will find this setting under AirPort Utility's Manual Setup on the Internet > NAT page as "Enable default host at:"

Using a DMZ or Default Host bypasses the firewall entirely and open the host device to the Internet. Port forwarding/mapping would be the other option where you only want certain ports opened to that same device.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2008 4:06 PM in response to Tapori

The equivalent for the Belkin's DMZ is "default host" on the TC. In this case, you would enter the IP address of the ViaTalk adapter as the default host.

You will find this setting under AirPort Utility's Manual Setup on the Internet > NAT page as "Enable default host at:"

Using a DMZ or Default Host bypasses the firewall entirely and open the host device to the Internet. Port forwarding/mapping would be the other option where you only want certain ports opened to that same device.

Jul 23, 2008 5:20 PM in response to Tapori

i posted this in another post near yours:

i use callvantage VoIP from AT&T. you may need to map some ports.

i've found the best setup for me is to have the VoIP box behind my APE(n), in one of the ethernet ports. there's plenty of bandwidth so calls are not garbled nor get interrupted with other network traffic.

wiring
Cable Modem to APE(n) via WAN
APE(n) to VoIP box via WAN

*port mapping*
after finding the VoIP box's IP address i logged on to it and set a proper manual IP so i can reliably port map via the APE(n).

_Public / Private UDP / TCP Port (to the VoIP IP address)_
2727, 2427, 2500, 30000-31000

You probably need to obtain a user manual for your VoIP device or contact the VoIP provider for specifics on your ports needed... if i'm on the right track with your needs.

does this help?

Jul 24, 2008 10:01 AM in response to Tapori

Actually, when I tried ViaTalk Tech's suggestions, it seems to work:

1) *_Turning off Static IP_* configuration by punching ** +(4x asterisk, even with no dial tone)+ then +(wait for the male prompt)+ punch in 101# +(wait for the male prompt)+ and finally punch in 1# +to enable+ and then 1 +to save+.

2) _This enabled_ DHCP which gave me dial tone back & it's live again!

Hope this helps to anyone with similar situation.
BTW, thanks for all your help!

Jul 24, 2008 10:23 AM in response to Tapori

good that you found a solution that works for now.

the reason i posted what i did was to prevent potential ip conflicts and directly assign ports to the device. some networks have a need for static ip's, some don't. my home network is farily complex, so i opt to manage it via static ip's except for the mobile devices. in the long run when power outages occur, or you need to unplug things for a while, knowing the power up order helps as well to avoid connectivity issues.

How to configure ViaTalk (VoIP) Linksys Adapter for newbie...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.