You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RBL lookup error

I'm starting to get RBL lookup errors, causing some legitimate and not so legitimate connections to time out.

Jul 19 03:29:09 blue postfix/smtpd[11865]: warning:
194.249.233.219.zen.spamhaus.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain name
not found. Name service error for name=194.249.233.219.zen.spamhaus.org
type=A: Host not found, try again

From what I've been reading, is it usually a DNS config error with the source host? Because I can receive e-mails fine from many other hosts.

Extended Keyboard Server, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 23, 2008 6:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2008 1:32 AM

Not sure what you mean by DNS error at the source host.
Spamhaus keeps a list of blocked IPs. It will not do any further DNS lookups. If it times out, it either means spamhaus.org is having problems (haven't seen any), or your connection to them.
Also, some ISPs believe that RBL lookups put too much burden on their network and block access to spamhaus. You could try and use a different RBL to see if it helps.
11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2008 1:32 AM in response to Celia Wessen

Not sure what you mean by DNS error at the source host.
Spamhaus keeps a list of blocked IPs. It will not do any further DNS lookups. If it times out, it either means spamhaus.org is having problems (haven't seen any), or your connection to them.
Also, some ISPs believe that RBL lookups put too much burden on their network and block access to spamhaus. You could try and use a different RBL to see if it helps.

Jul 24, 2008 9:05 AM in response to pterobyte

When I said, "DNS config error at host", I meant, if the admin at the sender's mail server misconfigured the IP address for the mail server, then the reverse lookup on the host name would resolve to something weird where Spamhaus might not be able to look it up - thus timing out. But then, Spamhaus would and should simply do a IP match up and return the result instead of timing out. So I think you're right that there is some kind of traffic problem from my host to Spamhaus.

BTW, if I were to overshoot my free capacity with Spamhaus, what kind of symptoms would I see? I think I'm well below the 300,000 SMTP hits per day.

Jul 24, 2008 10:56 AM in response to Celia Wessen

The RBL keeps a list of all blacklisted IPs.

The receiving server (your server) will send a query containing the IP of the sending server to the RBL to see if it is listed.

Being the SMTP protocol quite old and due to the fact RBL lookups were not contemplated when it was created a hack/workaround is used in the form of a DNS query. Based on the return value of this query your mail server will accept or reject the message.

An example:
-Your server receives a connection attempt by a sending server at 194.123.321.001
-The lookup mechanism (handled by postfix or amavisd or spamassassin, but in your case postfix) will reverse the bytes and add the RBLs hostname. This results in: 001.321.123.194.zen.spamhaus.org
-Next a DNS lookup for 001.321.123.194.zen.spamhaus.org will take place.
-If it returns an address (usually in the 127.0.0.0/8 loopback block), it means the IP is listed. If it returns NXDOMAIN it is not listed and mail is accepted.

HTH,
Alex

Sep 15, 2008 8:22 AM in response to pterobyte

I might be having a similar issue here...

from /var/log/mail.log:

Sep 15 11:08:38 mail-CLEANED-com postfix/smtpd[2683]: warning: 240.132.85.209.zen.spamhaus.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=240.132.85.209.zen.spamhaus.org type=A: Host not found, try again

so I tried doing some host lookups from the cli:

mail-CLEANED-com:~ admin$ host www.google.com
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com has address 64.233.167.104
www.l.google.com has address 64.233.167.99
www.l.google.com has address 64.233.167.147
mail-CLEANED-com:~ admin$ host www.spamhaus.org
www.spamhaus.org has address 64.124.52.228
www.spamhaus.org mail is handled by 10 smtp-ext-layer.spamhaus.org.
mail-CLEANED-com:~ admin$ host zen.spamhaus.org
Host zen.spamhaus.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Hrmmm....
Any thoughts Alex?

Sep 17, 2008 6:36 AM in response to pterobyte

Just wanted to let y'all know that I talked to the sysadmin at my ISP, and he had this to say.

"SpamHaus doesn't like our DNS servers, but I have a work around. It should work for you now, but lemmie know if you still have problems."

I don't know what he did, but it works now. 🙂 So, I recommend talking to your ISP or DNS administrator.

RBL lookup error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.