Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change partition map scheme from Apple Partition Map to GUID

I was looking for some instructions on how to change my LaCie d2 quadra 1tb from an Apple partition map to a GUID map so I can make it a bootable drive for my intel based mac and so that I can repartition on the fly. Is all of that possible? (I haven't been able to find the options for doing the partition map in disk utility. Is this an oversight on my part?)

Also, how would the data be allocated on the disk itself if the drive were repartitioned on the fly? Would each partition that got resized be fragmented and allocated to wherever there happens to be any space available or will disk utility make it contiguous and move all of the data around? Would the data on any of the partitions be destroyed?

I was trying to figure out if, with the guid mapping, my powerpc g4 would be able to read and write to the drive. Could I create a bootable disk for the ppc too or will it only be bootable for the intel mac?

PB G4 17 1.33GHz 1GB, macbook 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 23, 2008 7:06 PM

2 replies

Jul 23, 2008 7:13 PM in response to kathigitis

I was looking for some instructions on how to change my LaCie d2 quadra 1tb from an Apple partition map to a GUID map so I can make it a bootable drive for my intel based mac and so that I can repartition on the fly. Is all of that possible? (I haven't been able to find the options for doing the partition map in disk utility. Is this an oversight on my part?)

Reformat and repartition the drive. This requires erasing everything on it.

Also, how would the data be allocated on the disk itself if the drive were repartitioned on the fly? Would each partition that got resized be fragmented and allocated to wherever there happens to be any space available or will disk utility make it contiguous and move all of the data around? Would the data on any of the partitions be destroyed?

The Disk Utility will move the data as needed so that all partitions are contiguous. Nothing will be erased.

Could I create a bootable disk for the ppc too or will it only be bootable for the intel mac?

A GUID drive is only bootable on an Intel Mac. APM drives are bootable on both.

(34057)

Jul 23, 2008 7:15 PM in response to kathigitis

to repartition a drive you select the whole drive in disk utility, go to teh partition tab set the number of the partitions, set the format to mac os x extended journalled and click on options. set the partition scheme in the popup and finally hit "apply".

Du does need a contiguous chunk of free space to create a new partition on the fly. It does not move anything around. If it can't find big enough contiguous piece partitioning will fail.

Once partitions are created you can only resize one by dragging the LOWER right corner of the partition up or down. this means that to increase the size of a partition, there should be a free space below it.

change partition map scheme from Apple Partition Map to GUID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.