Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Potential fix for WGM generating negative User IDs

I saw a posting back from August 2007 from "Summer is Gone", where he/she asked about Workgroup Manager generating negative User IDs (UIDs). No one responded back then and the thread is now closed, so I thought I'd contribute my experience with it today.

I had this problem on a 10.4.11 server that serves only as an OD Master. I had archived the OD database, set to Standalone, rebooted, and then restored the archive as a potential fix for some little glitches that we'd been having after 4 years of running the server.

After the archive was restored, WGM was creating negative UIDs during "Add User". I'm not certain that was the trigger, but it's the likely one.

The fix was to simply trash ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.workgroupmanager.plist and relaunch WGM. After that, WGM once again started generating positive UIDs.

Various, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 24, 2008 10:30 AM

There are no replies.

Potential fix for WGM generating negative User IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.