Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Parallels..

Hi there, i hope i have posted this in the right area.
Right well i have been having a few problems with Parallels. When i try and load up an emulator it comes up with a warning:

graphics error
Direct 3D failed to initialize
Error code: 8876086A
D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

then when i click ok it says:

Error
The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid
Check that you have at lease one compatible plugin file in you plugin folder

What on earth does this mean an how can i get it just to start up the emulator?

Also it says i need to register my copy of windows, even though i registered it on bootcamp on the same laptop. Well i tried putting the product key in and it says that its already registered to a different PC, so its basically going to expire in 3 days. How can i get it to realise its the same computer?

I have also tried VM ware to see if i have better look but i dont.

So if anyone can help me id really appreciate it!

Message was edited by: Brummy Red

Message was edited by: Brummy Red

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 24, 2008 8:22 PM

1 reply

Jul 25, 2008 6:02 AM in response to Brummy Red

It sounds like you are trying to launch some type of emulator from Windows while you are running Windows under Parallels. You would need to give us a bit more information with respect to what emulator you are trying to launch. Also, be sure to enable Direct X support in the Parallels setup for your virtual machine.

It is not uncommon to need to reactivate Windows if you install with BootCamp and then use the BootCamp installation under Parallels. The virtual hardware in the Parallels virtual machine is totally different than the actual hardware detected under BootCamp... as a result, Windows thinks it's a different machine. You will need to call Microsoft and explain the situation, they will provide you with a new activation code. You will only have to do this once.

Problems with Parallels..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.