Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera is taking pictures upside down

Hey all, my iPhone camera is taking pictures upside down. I hold it right side up, but after I've taken the picture, the resulting picture is upside down. Does anybody know how this can get fixed?

iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Jul 27, 2008 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2008 9:46 AM

Same problem here. Camera right side up taking vertical pictures displays the photos upside down in the camera roll.

Has anyone else experiencing this issue downladed the lightsaber application? I noticed this issue after installing an update to the app that was supposed to flip the light saber upside down when the phone was reversed. Don't know if it has anything to do with the upside down picture issue - but thought it was worth asking.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2008 9:46 AM in response to lizgirl86

Same problem here. Camera right side up taking vertical pictures displays the photos upside down in the camera roll.

Has anyone else experiencing this issue downladed the lightsaber application? I noticed this issue after installing an update to the app that was supposed to flip the light saber upside down when the phone was reversed. Don't know if it has anything to do with the upside down picture issue - but thought it was worth asking.

Jul 28, 2008 8:44 AM in response to lizgirl86

This is strange.

So when you're holding the phone with the sleep/wake button pointing skywards, and then tilt the phone to the right, and take a picture, they appear upside down? If so, that is definitely the correct way to take landscape photos, so I would take it into your local store so somebody can have a look at the problem for you.

Jul 31, 2008 10:35 AM in response to lizgirl86

I am having the exact same issues. I reboot my iPhone and it works fine; however, it goes back to taking pictures upside down. I am not sure if it's related to the third-party apps that use the camera, but my wife's iPhone seems to be working fine. Don't know I will be calling Apple regarding this. Hopefully I can still exchange the phone at the AT&T store. I have a couple of more weeks before my first month is up.

Aug 3, 2008 5:36 PM in response to lizgirl86

I am having the same issue. I have also noticed when the camera is taking pictures upside down, the auto-rotate has also stopped functioning (in Safari, Photos, and iPod). I think the two are related. I took this screen shot of an empty camera roll demonstrating that the camera button remains upside down and does not properly rotate (http://www.twitpic.com/5zdp). I would like a better answer than rebooting. This is happening daily.

Aug 4, 2008 9:47 PM in response to lizgirl86

My phone has the same problem. After a reset it works fine, but if it sleeps for 30 seconds or more, the accelerometer wrongly indicates that the phone is pointing downwards.

See this thread for more info:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7577258#7577258

A lot of people with this problem have had their phone replaced, but I'm hopeful a firmware update can fix it. 2.0.1 was released today, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Camera is taking pictures upside down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.