3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2008 11:29 AM by Gordon Henderson
Scott Mosher Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Hey folks, I just recently ran into a new problem I've not seen before.

I'm getting weird black outlined highlight boxes around things... and I'm also getting duplicate items in the finder (ie: 2 listings of Restart, Shutdown, and Logout in the Apple drop down menu) - this is really been annoying me for the few days it's been occuring. I rebuilt the desktop, zapped the PRAM and verified and repaired permissions... to no avail.

Here's a screenshot of my problem:

http://scottmosher.com/newshit/macproblem1.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), I'm also running OS 9.2.2 on my other (external) drive!
  • Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (45,360 points)
    Check your settings in System preferences/Universal Access: Is VoiceOver on?
  • Scott Mosher Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks. It's funny, I just figured that one out right before I reloaded this page - I had the volume off and once I raised it I realized voice activation/speak activation was on, and then I ascertained the source of the problem. Weird, though...
  • Gordon Henderson Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I am very thankful I found this thread! Craig's List allows you to edit a posting after you have published it, and they advise you to press control-F5 to see the new version.

I did so, except I used command-F5, in an attempt to do the Mac equivalent; it didn't work in Safari, or Firefox, but it did turn on Voice Over, and I got the above mentioned weirdness in my Apple menu and in all applications.

I thought I had trashed my home account, and that it was time to attempt to back up e-mail, documents, etc. and build a new, uncorrupted one.

Thanks for providing a concise description, complete with screenshot, and the easy cure!