Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and IPv6

Hello,
I would like to know how exactly Safari behaves for IPv6? Is it prefer IPv6 over IPv4 waiting for timeout or what? Can change the way how it works manually? How? What about revDNS, do I need to have true revDNS to push Safari working for IPv6? I am using Safari 3.1.2 (5525.20.1).

Thanks in advance for your information.

--
Krzysztof Maj

Macbook White, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2008 10:39 AM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2008 11:12 AM in response to siwy

You can't control how or if IPv6 works for any web site; it's up to the administrators of the servers to implement IPv6 or not; most have not, so disabling IPv6 is something you should do unless you know for certain that you'll only be visiting sites that implemented it.

Safari timing out should not be an issue, since there is no timeout limit on Safari; if an error message is given, that's a problem with the site or the DNS Servers being used. In that case, you should change your DNS Server entries in Network Preferences to:

click Apply Now and then quit System Preferences. You may need to restart any Internet-related applications before they will recognize this.

Mulder

Aug 26, 2008 7:35 PM in response to siwy

Assuming that you are on a IPv6 network that is connected to the IPv6 network and the server you wish to connect to has both an IPv6 entry (AAAA) and an IPv4 (A) in the DNS, then from my experience IPv6 will be tried first. Beyond that I am not aware of what the documented behaviour is meant to be.

Is there any particular reason you are asking the question?

Safari and IPv6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.