Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPP / LPD Printing with HP Photosmart 6180

I've connected my HP 6180 to my home network and manually assigned it an ip address. I've been trying to print to it over the internet using IPP (port 631) or LPD (port 515) but have been unsuccessful. (I have a number of printers currently set up at both my office and home that can be printed to from anywhere, so I'm fairly familiar with this.)

When sending a print job, I'm always given the message "host server is busy, will retry in 30 seconds." Any idea why this isn't working? Is it that the HP 6180 doesn't support/allow printing over the internet? Is this a queue issue or driver issue?

PowerBook (FireWire) w/ G4 550 upgrade, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 30, 2008 12:27 AM

12 replies

Jul 30, 2008 5:36 AM in response to Steve Dutton

Is this a queue issue or driver issue?

Might be both. How is it connected to the network? Which Model print server?
Since we don't have auto-setup software like on Windows, you need to put in all the right info when adding in Print & Fax. LPD and IPP both require a queue name (also called port name in some manuals).
The driver provided by HP definitely doesn't support network printing. You need a CUPS driver (Gutenprint or hpijs) to print using the CUPS IP printing protocols. Free CUPS drivers:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx

Jul 30, 2008 6:24 AM in response to greg sahli

This particular printer is capable of networking and works just fine on LAN. On my other setups, I don't enter anything in the queue name . . . not sure what HP would require. As a test, I entered in the port number (I'm doing port forwarding) in the queue area, but that didn't change anything.

When doing a printer setup, I choose IPP, enter "myaccountname.dyndns.info:port number" I'm given the confirmation that this is a valid address. I choose the appropriate driver and then add the printer. As I mentioned, I have a number of different network printers / copiers that this works fine on: Lexmark, Panasonic, Epson . . . so there seems to be something unique with my HP.

Jul 30, 2008 11:13 AM in response to greg sahli

Hi, I’m not having any problem adding the printer and printing on my home network (LAN) . . . in fact, I have no problem adding the printer for LPD or IPP printing using “myaccount.dyndns.info:port” . . . I can ping the device over the internet, but when sending a print job, I get the message "host server is busy, will retry in 30 seconds." I’m successfully doing this very set up/printing with four other printers using IPP (port 631) or LPD (port 515) but can’t seem to get the HP to work. There doesn't appear to be any option for HP IP or HP TCP/IP in the "select printer drivers" area.

If I understand you correctly, I need to download and install a CUPS-based driver for the Photosmart C8180?

Jul 30, 2008 11:21 PM in response to Steve Dutton

I just downloaded and installed the latest update for HP printers . . . the HP IP option now appears in the More Printers area. I went through and installed the right driver in this area. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem though . . . I can't get the printer to print a job sent through the internet. I get the same "server is busy" message.

Aug 1, 2008 12:45 AM in response to greg sahli

I've finally stumbled upon the solution searching the web . . . no thanks to HP tech support. I called HP twice . . . one tech said the issue was with my ISP, the other said it couldn't be done.

What I found was many HP printers us PDL instead of IPP or LPD, so the port is 9100. I changed the port in the port forwarding area on my router (and I even was able to use the HP provided driver when adding the printer) and all is well printing over the internet.

IPP / LPD Printing with HP Photosmart 6180

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.