Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do screen protectors affect the touch screen?

Do screen protectors damage the touch screen functionality or sensitivity?

I read before of people having problems.

iMac 2.0 * Mini G4 * iBook * iPod Touch 2.0 * iPhone 3G 16GB* Blackberry 8120 *, Mac OS X (10.5.4), from Apple II to now.....

Posted on Jul 30, 2008 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2008 6:42 AM

They won't damage the screen. But the ones I used dimished the sensitivity enough to where I don't like them, at least I noticed a slight difference especially in safari when trying to touch really small links and such. The screen is optical glass, it is difficult to scratch.
9 replies

Jul 30, 2008 7:08 AM in response to Antihero17

+I use the Power Support anti-glare screen protector and have noticed any reduction in sensitivity at all. Glass can scratch quite easily actually, trust me, I work in the glass industry. I applied my screen protector 3 days after receiving my phone, my brother opted not to use one. My brothers phone received mutliple scratches on the screen after a few weeks.+

Thank you for your help! Its really useful information:)

I have applied one already but was really worried that it would damage the screen. I much prefer to have some protection on the front as its just going to be pushed into my trousers/jeans...

I have a "wrap around" Belkin case for my iPod touch but I want the phone to be open and accesible so as to be able to make/take calls easily

Jul 30, 2008 7:46 AM in response to Randy Fast

I understand where you're coming from, it's just I don't want to accidentally scratch the screen and the touch ***** on it then, because that makes the phone. I'm not always gentle when it comes to my phone and although I do keep it in my pocket all the time there are the occasions that I accidentally drop it or things along that line, that's the only reason I want a screen protector.

Jul 30, 2008 6:52 AM in response to Randy Fast

I use the Power Support anti-glare screen protector and have noticed any reduction in sensitivity at all. Glass can scratch quite easily actually, trust me, I work in the glass industry. I applied my screen protector 3 days after receiving my phone, my brother opted not to use one. My brothers phone received mutliple scratches on the screen after a few weeks.

Jul 30, 2008 7:36 AM in response to Envision99

Well I don't know what kind of pants you guys are wearing or what your doing with your phones. But after an entire year of owning my previous iPhone, keeping it my pocket naked, and heavy use I can say I have zero scratches on the screen. The silver bezel around the screen is covered in dings and scratches and looks pretty bad and some of the corners and edges have dings and marks from hitting pavement. I've dropped it several times, a few on cement and asfault (landing on the screen sometimes) and it still has no scratches on the glass. Maybe I'm just lucky, but normally I am not.

No protector will damage the screen that I know of. And the change in sensitivity is very small, but enough to where I didn't like it. But in the end its up to you, I know I was paranoid when I first got my $600 iPhone last year but after awhile and seeing the videos online of the beating it can take I changed my mind. Plus its nearly a crime to cover up something that looks so good.

Jul 30, 2008 7:57 AM in response to Wan Chai Man

I am using the PowerSupport Anti-Glare not for protection but because it has a nice feel to the finger and it does not leave fingerprint smudges on the film.

It has a slight grainy feeling and your finger can move around smoothly

as compared to a naked screen that it could sometimes give you that sticky feeling and it also leaves fingerprint smudges and oil!

Do screen protectors affect the touch screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.