Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HUGE Security Flaw with Sleep Password

I was using Leopard on my MBP, a pretty fresh installation (less than a month old).

I had a couple of iChat windows open. Something called me away for a few minutes, and my screen saver kicked on, which I have set to "Require password to wake this computer".

I came back, moved the mouse, and it popped up the Password window as usual. I typed in my password and hit Enter then screen faded back to black. Weird, I thought. I moved the mouse again, it asked me for my password again. I typed it in and my desktop appeared as normal.

Except for the fact that in my last open iChat window, I just sent my password to the last person I was chatting with!

Basically, it's like the key input for my "Require Password" box didn't parse to to the box, it instead parsed to the iChat window that was "behind" everything. My guess is that the "focus" didn't shift to the Password box when I moved the mouse, instead it stayed stuck at the iChat window which was my previous focus point.

When the password prompt is up, Leopard shouldn't allow me to input anything "behind" the Password box. Des this mean I could have also command-tabbed to bring up my email and bypass the password prompt? Or heaven forbid I had a Terminal session running as my last focus point.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 1, 2008 10:17 AM

3 replies

Aug 1, 2008 10:32 AM in response to plochner

you are right, this is a known weakness. Even worse, it's actually possible to pick which window you are typing in and, say, execute a terminal command if terminal was open before the computer went to sleep. the only workaround is not to use 'require password on wake" feature and suspend your session instead. For example, you can choose "login window" from Fast user switching dialog. This can be automated if you like.

HUGE Security Flaw with Sleep Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.