Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Battery Drains 2% Per Hour When Unplugged

I've been going round and round with the Genius Bar and AppleCare Depot. Purchased MBP in January 2008, I noticed a few months ago that when I completely shut down my MBP and unplug the power, the battery will be completely drained in 2 days. I have no USB devices plugged in and I'm sure its completely powered off. If I remove the battery and set it aside for that long and then plug it back in the battery has lost virtually no charge. So something inside the laptop is discharging the battery at about 2.1% per hour (I have been studying the problem for weeks and that percentage is the same every time).

So far applecare has replaced my battery twice, the complete power circuitry once, and the logic board once. I have been without my laptop for a total of probably 4 weeks so far. I took it back to genius bar and they have studied it for a full week before sending back to the depot to replace more things. So far, every time its gone to the depot it has been returned in the same day (thus proving they haven't tested it unplugged for any long period of time. And every time it has returned with a dead battery and the same problem.

I'm rapidly losing confidence that anyone knows how to fix the problem. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do when the laptop inevitably returns with the same problem.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Aug 2, 2008 1:59 PM

10 replies

Aug 10, 2008 12:32 PM in response to Hardy Geer

Just got the laptop back from the depot and of course it still has the problem. I have tried turning off the bluetooth wake (and the adapter itself) and the wifi. And after 10 hours turned off, it has lost over 20% of its charge.

This last time at the depot they deplaced the same stuff as last time, which leads me to believe they have no idea how to fix it. Anyone have any other advice... the laptop seems like a lemon to me.

Aug 10, 2008 5:13 PM in response to whodatrd

Sorry, I can't offer any help, but I do have a similar problem. My old iBook and PowerBook G4 could go all day asleep and maybe lose a few battery %, my MacBook Pro can lose 10% just overnight.

I have another problem with the battery as well, not sure if it's related. But often times the laptop will not go to sleep, it simply turns off. It doesn't matter what apps I have open, or what peripherals I have hooked up. This was also never a problem with my previous laptops. This is the second battery I've had in this laptop and eventually both problems start to happen.

I'll be really looking forward to a solution to either of these problems.

Aug 10, 2008 5:40 PM in response to whodatrd

hello,

i would ask apple to replace the unit with a new one. tell them that the unit appears to be unfixable and you can't afford to be without a working computer so long.

a word of warning though about the macbook pros, however, there appears to be an issue with the nvidia graphics cards with these machines (apple has not confirmed this though) so you just might want to wait until the new macbook pros come out - the scuttle-but is that they will be out soon.

good luck with your machine,

polisciguy

MBP Battery Drains 2% Per Hour When Unplugged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.