2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2008 6:43 PM by msgraff
msgraff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have not been able to unistall itunes. I keep getting this error message. "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2318".

And the same error message appears when I try and install the latest update. Now I can't even open itunes. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
MS

HP, Windows XP
  • polydorus Level 6 Level 6 (11,950 points)
    According to the Windows installer error messages, this is a file not found error.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372835.aspx

    If I understand correctly, this happens when you try to uninstall with Add/remove programs?

    Do you have a working iTunes now? What I am going to suggest is a manual removal and installer cleanup. You will not have a working iTunes if the install part doesn't work.

    == uninstall with cleanup and reinstall ==
    Download a fresh copy of iTunes and the stand alone version of Quicktime

    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

    Download and install Microsoft Installer cleanup utility, there are instructions on the page as well as the download. Note that what you download is the installer not the program – you have to run it to install the program

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

    Now use the following method to remove iTunes and its components:
    XP
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

    Vista
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923


    If you hit a problem with one of the uninstalls don't worry, carry on with the deleting of files and folders as directed in the method.

    When you get to deleting Quicktime files in the system32 folder as advised in the method, you can delete and file or folder called Quicktime.

    Restart your PC.

    Run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility. (Start > All Programs > Windows Install Clean Up)

    Remove any references you find to the programs you removed - strictly speaking you only need to worry about those programs where the uninstall failed.

    restart your PC

    Install the stand alone Quicktime and check that it works.

    If it does, install iTunes.

    ===
  • msgraff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sweet!!!! This worked!! Well 99%. Thanks!!! Anyways the other 1% is the stupid itunesMiniPlayer.dll will not delete or unistall. I had to move it out of the directory and onto my desktop to get itunes to finally FREAKING install.

    The itunesminiplayer.resources file will not delete either. And when I try and delete it the SOB tries to Re-format me C drive. So any ideas on this one?

    Thanks for the first suggestion it wroked great.