Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to delete single corrupted address

I have a single corrupted e-mail address which I cannot seem to remove. I can send mail to everyone else from this computer, and can send mail to this one recipient from any other computer inside or outside our network. I cannot send mail to her using the Apple mail application, Thunderbird, or Eudora from this computer. I have deleted and replaced the address in the address book. I have throw out the entire address book, and the address book files in users>library>application support, and reinstalled the system. I deleted all addresses from mail>previous recipients, and even if I enter the address manually with no autocompletion I still get an error that the SMTP server can't be located, again, for this e-mail address only. I deleted the mail account and made a new one.... same results. Where else can this address live that is corrupted? What preference files may have not been re-made?

Intel iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2008 10:56 AM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2008 11:10 AM in response to Cosna

You're making an awful lot of work for yourself when there's nothing wrong with the email address; it's the server that can't be found. So that leads us to the question: who is the email provider for this email address, and have you checked to be sure the settings for that account in Mail are correct?

Mulder

Aug 3, 2008 12:24 PM in response to Cosna

No, it's the server. Email addresses cannot be corrupted; they are either valid or invalid. There is something preventing a connection with your server for that account, so you should check your settings to be sure they are the same as the others, assuming these accounts are all with the same email provider.

Mulder

Aug 3, 2008 12:39 PM in response to Mulder

OK, if you're certain, tell me.... why can I reach all others on the same network using the same server from this same e-mail account, and all others on the network can reach this address using the one server? Nothing is different for the server settings for this address. Also, as I said, I have deleted and re-made this account and re-entered server settings. I can't see how I could specify a different server for a one specific address.....

Aug 3, 2008 12:46 PM in response to Cosna

OK, if you're certain, tell me.... why can I reach all others on the same network using the same server from this same e-mail account, and all others on the network can reach this address using the one server?

This isn't a contest about who knows everything, so let's not go there. There is something that is causing the SMTP server to not accept mail with that email address and we are trying to find out. Since you haven't mentioned who the email provider is, or what settings you have setup, that would be a good start.

You should also try creating a new User Account and setting up Mail with that one email address to see if it works there.

Mulder

Aug 3, 2008 5:16 PM in response to Mulder

I have figured out the problem. It was not directly a server issue, but rather that I had added this recipient to the list of keys for Pretty Good Privacy. Although I was not trying to send encrypted, her key had become corrupted, and kept trying to connect using SSL, which the server is not configured for. After deleting her key, the problem is gone.

Thanks for the help. It got me thinking about what possible things might be be different about this addressee.

unable to delete single corrupted address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.