Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro / Windows XP SP3 Battery Class Issue

Installed Windows XP Professional SP3, Boot Camp drivers, updated everything to as far as it'd pretty much let me update. Nice clean installs... except I noticed my fan was cranking, really really hard, and applications like Firefox ran abysmally slow. Curious, I checked task manager to see that I had ridiculously high CPU usage by the System process. Quite a bit of tinkering later and I found out that for some reason, XP is failing to recognize the battery properly.

Here are some relevant stack traces

It's BATTC.SYS (battery class system driver) that's throwing a large fit. Not sure why, though. Checking the power management panel in Windows shows an unknown battery (even though it shows no errors in Device Manager), and flickering. Taking out the battery makes the CPU usage return to normal, and reinserting it makes it climb up to unusable again. Tried installing Intel 945 drivers to no avail.

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.12f5
Serial Number: (removed)
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Battery Information:
Model Information:
Serial Number: SMP-ASMB012-xxxx-xxx (removed)
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0102
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0200
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4363
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4486
Health Information:
Cycle count: 195
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12451

XP install was vanilla XP install upgraded to SP3... worked before, except last time I don't think I had upgraded to the latest Boot Camp (2.1 I think?). Laptop functions correctly under Mac OS X, with no visible issues.

Anyone else had any issues with this, and if so, is there a fix?

Macbook Pro, Windows XP Pro, 2.33GHz C2D/2GB RAM/X1600 256MB

Posted on Aug 4, 2008 12:06 AM

4 replies

Aug 18, 2008 12:22 PM in response to tassomagia

Nope. I just nuked the XP install, and installed Vista. Then, realizing how bad Vista still was (in my opinion!), I nuked that install in favor of a virtual machine running XP SP3.

Maybe sometime in a few weeks I'll try to reinstall with the same setup and see if it happens again, but I wish I knew what exactly was making it go on the fritz.

Sep 4, 2008 12:06 PM in response to rickz0rz

Hi,

I was having the same issues with one of my clients' MacBook Pro, 17", 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo. I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, w/ SP3 and all the other installed programs with no avail. The CPU began to be at 80-100% capacity after about a day or two of normal use. I was also experiencing the BATTC.SYS act erratically. Scratching my head, not knowing what else to look for or fix, I restarted the computer, and ZAPPED the P-RAM, and that seem to have done the trick. Try it and see if it works for you and post your results.

I'm hoping this helps others experiencing this erratic issue.

-Octavio

MacBook Pro / Windows XP SP3 Battery Class Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.