Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstalling nokia software

How do I uninstall Nokia Multimedia Transfer ?

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Silver front

Posted on Aug 4, 2008 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2008 2:13 PM

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Most applications create preference files which are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can located them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term.

There are also several shareware utilities that can uninstall applications:
AppZapper
CleanApp
Yank
SuperPop
Uninstaller
Spring Cleaning

Look for them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2008 2:13 PM in response to jcmac76

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Most applications create preference files which are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can located them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term.

There are also several shareware utilities that can uninstall applications:
AppZapper
CleanApp
Yank
SuperPop
Uninstaller
Spring Cleaning

Look for them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

Aug 4, 2008 5:40 PM in response to jcmac76

jcmac76:

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

As Kappy suggests, if an uninstaller came with your software, it to remove the application.

If there is not uninstaller, in addition to the list posted by Kappy, you can use AppDelete. You simply drag the application to be deleted into the AppDelete icon. It locates all related files, which you review and tell it to delete.

Good luck.

cornelius

Aug 5, 2008 8:03 AM in response to Kappy

Hello Kappy, Thank you for your assistance, your answer was very informative. I did delete the related file in Applications Support. There was nothing relating to Nokia in the Startupitems. However, when I try to trash the desktop icon I get the message that it can not be moved to the trash because the program is open. I may try AppZapper or maybe I should just leave it alone. The computer works fine, I just learned the hard way to do some reading before installing any program. Thanks for your time and help. I'm just a photographer/retoucher and this adventure into the working of the OS is a little intimidating and maybe it's a case of " If it ain't broke..." Thanks again, Jeff. P.S. I'm VERY new to this discussion stuff. Does my not checking "Yes, my question has been answered" in some way not reflect well on you ? If it does I'll gladly go back and check it. Jeff.

Aug 5, 2008 8:25 AM in response to jcmac76

Welcome To  Discussions Jeff!

"Does my not checking "Yes, my question has been answered" in some way not reflect well on you ? If it does I'll gladly go back and check it."

When you mark the appropriate posts as Helpful (5 pts) 2 available, or Solved (10 pts) 1 available, you are Thanking the contributors, by awarding them points.

In threads with multiple replies, it also alerts other readers, to which answers may have been helpful, or solved the issue.

This info, and more, can be viewed by clicking on
? Help & Terms of Use, located under your login name, on all "Discussions" pages.

Specifically What are question answers?.

The Helpful and Solved buttons, that award points, are to the left of the Reply button in each response. User uploaded file

ali b

Aug 5, 2008 8:46 AM in response to jcmac76

Jeff:
However, when I try to trash the desktop icon I get the message that it can not be moved to the trash because the program is open.

Try completely shutting down the computer. Then boot it up again. Drag the application icon in the Applications folder into AppDelete (linked earlier). That should take care of it.

😉 cornelius

Aug 6, 2008 9:41 AM in response to ali brown

Thank you for welcoming me to the discussions ali b. Your info has helped. I checked helpful in Kappy's and Cornelius' answers. I had no business downloading that Nokia app. I was trying to help a friend pull images from their Nokia phone. I think I'll just leave the unwanted app alone and chalk it up to a lesson learned. My beloved Mac seems to be running fine. Nothing but a poorly designed icon on my desktop is really all that's bothering me and my Mac.

Message was edited by: jcmac76

Uninstalling nokia software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.