Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fix buffer/text size within emacs

hello,
i use gnu emacs 22.1.1 and mac os x leopard. what i would really like is a possibility to fix the text size (and, consequently, the buffer size) of the emacs after it is started from the terminal. i can change the text size by shift-clicking within the buffer, then choosing 'Misc' and, for example, '6x12' (which is the size i prefer). this makes the text smaller and simultaneously changes the overall size of the buffer.
how can i set this variable in the .emacs config file? other people told me about the possibility of changing the buffer size within .emacs; this is not what i need.
thank you very much in advance!

sebastian

MacBook 2 GHz 2 GB, Mac OS X (10.5.4), gnu emacs 22.1.1

Posted on Aug 6, 2008 10:48 AM

2 replies

Aug 6, 2008 11:37 AM in response to sebastiansulger

I'm not sure I'm going to help you much, but on Windows, I use EMACS too, and the way I'm starting it with different resolutions is like this:

D:\emacs-22.1\bin>emacs.exe --geometry 80x50
or
D:\emacs-22.1\bin>emacs.exe -g 80x50

On Mac OS X, I'm using AquaMacs (aquamacs.org), and I never needed that.

Again, not much of a help, comp.emacs (gnu.emacs) newsgroup might be of bigger help:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emacs/topics?lnk=srg

Aug 6, 2008 2:24 PM in response to sebastiansulger

the problem is solved. i had to change the emacs font using xfontsel. this webpage was very helpful:

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~osigor/emacs/font.html

after you have chosen your preferred font, you provide it in .emacs as follows:

(when (and window-system (eq system-type 'darwin))
(set-face-font 'default "-dec-terminal-bold-r-normal--12-140-75-75-c-80-dec-dectech"))

thanks for giving the google groups link, people there helped me out with this.

sebastian

fix buffer/text size within emacs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.