Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting path to user's home directory

I have some Applescripts that I've written at work and I'd like to share with coworkers. The problem is that I've currently got my home directory path hard-coded in some of them, e.g.

set theScript to load script file ":Users:bmargoli:Library:Scripts:Lib:RunInTerminal.scpt"

I'd like to rewrite this to be more portable, so everyone doesn't have to personalilze their copies of the scripts. How would I rewrite the above line to get the user's home directory, and then find the Library/Scripts/Lib folder within it.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 6, 2008 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2008 5:34 PM

AppleScript's Standard Additions has a path to command with several constants defined, such as:

get path to home folder
8 replies

Aug 6, 2008 6:31 PM in response to Barry Margolin

Here's two examples...

open the Lib folder...
try
do shell script "open ~/Library/Scripts/Lib\\ folder"
end try
move the Lib folder to the desktop...
tell application "Finder"
set home_path to home as Unicode text
try
set source to alias ( home_path & "Library:Scripts:Lib folder") as Unicode text
set destination to home_path & "Desktop" as Unicode text
tell application "Finder" to move source to destination as Unicode text
end try
end tell

Aug 6, 2008 7:43 PM in response to Tom_X

Making RunInTerminal a .app won't work, since all it contains are subroutines that other scripts can use.

When I first created the library I tried using "get path to home folder", but I was unable to combine that with "Library/Scripts/Lib" to get it to load the script library. I don't remember the errors I got. Can someone show the whole sequence?

Getting path to user's home directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.