Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.5: Icons are centered in the Menu Bar

When an app like Skype or Alarm Clock Pro is running on my system, its menubar icon is centered in the menu bar, instead of aligning right with all the rest. It looks odd and doesn't seem right to have it floating in the middle instead of to the right.

Is there any way to make it behave like the others? Delete a plist file or something?

Mac Pro, 2x2.8 Xeon 5400, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Posted on Aug 6, 2008 7:39 PM

9 replies

Aug 9, 2008 12:01 PM in response to Philpott

The process that is in charge of menu bar items is called SystemUIServer. I once had a problem where it would sometimes seem to fail to read its own plist and arrange things incorrectly upon a restart. I would go to Activity Monitor, make sure all processes were showing, then Force Quit SystemUIServer. It automatically restarts. It would then arrange the items correctly.

The plist for SystemUIServer is here:

"/Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist"

If you remove it and then either log out and back in, or force restart SystemUIServer, a new default plist will be created. You will then have to add back the items you want, and remove the ones you don't.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Aug 9, 2008 2:30 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Hi Barry! I learned far more about SystemUIServer than I ever wanted to know because way back when Tiger was new I was getting some very frustrating failures due to what seemed to be unhappy interactions between Spotlight and some of my own preferred menu bar extras. Turned out to be bugs in a process I had never heard of before: SystemUIServer. So I learned something about it in the process of dealing with my problems. And thanks to Leopard, I now know far more than I ever wished to learn about ownership and permissions and ACLs.....
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Mac OS X 10.5: Icons are centered in the Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.