3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2008 10:47 PM by 1.21 Gigaflops
rocco1109 Level 1 (10 points)
Hello. Thinking about buying a two-month old iMac from a friend. He bought from an Apple store and has the original sales receipt.

If I have a warranty problem in year 1 will the machine be covered? Do I need to transfer the computer into my name some how?

Are there any issues with purchasing the extended warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • elmac Level 5 (4,230 points)
    Hi, I think it would be wise if your friend purchased Apple Care, I understand it would then be transferable. As far as I kno' you can call Apple & have the computer re registered to yourself...L
  • Barry Hemphill Level 8 (37,170 points)
    Hello rocco:

    Answer - I think so. However, I would call either Applecare or an Apple store and pose the same question. In that way, you will get a definitive answer from an official Apple source.

  • 1.21 Gigaflops Level 1 (0 points)
    The initial warranty is based on the serial number. When you need service or support that's the first thing they ask for. If you do want apple care, then you should buy it yourself, in your name, because transferring apple care is much more complicated.

    You can read the entire thing here.

    6. Transfer of Plan

    You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending or faxing notice of transfer to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714 — 9125, U.S. (fax number 512 — 674 — 8125). You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

    edit-added the transfer info

    Message was edited by: 1.21 Gigaflops