Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zapf Dingbats not working

I just got a new MacBook Pro with Leopard and now I can't work on one of my client files that has some Zapf Dingbats characters in it. The characters just show up as vertical boxes. The problem file is a Flash file so I checked to see if the font worked in other apps. It works in some but not in Mac's Mail program so I know it's not a Flash problem.

The same problem also seems to exist with other non-roman alphabet fonts.

Any help is much appreciated. I really need to be able to work on my client's files...

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2008 11:52 AM

16 replies

Aug 8, 2008 1:43 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I just tried this and it said the font was fine. I even did a restart after validating it just in case.

The font does work in some applications like Photoshop so it's a mystery as to why it doesn't work in others especially other Creative Suite apps such as Flash or in the Mac Mail program.

Aug 8, 2008 3:08 PM in response to Kimley

Leopard comes with a .dfont version of Zapf Dingbats in the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder. So you may either have a font conflict, if you're trying to use an older Type 1 PostScript version for the file; or the OS X supplied font just doesn't work properly with the document since it is Unicode.

If you're trying to use a different version of Zapf Dingbats, you're going to have to get OS X's version out of the way first. Go to the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder and copy the file ZapfDingbats.dfont to another location for safe keeping. Then delete it from the System folder. You'll have to enter your password in order to remove it. With only the version of Zapf Dingbats you need active, it should now work properly.

Aug 12, 2008 9:20 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately, I still don't have the problem fixed.

Kurt, I only have the one version of the font. Also, the font doesn't work at all in any Flash file. I tried creating a new file and just having a line of type and it won't let me spec it as Zapf Dingbats. Other non-roman alphabet fonts don't work either like the Symbol font. And it's not just Flash. These fonts don't work in Apple's Mail program either. But it does work in some apps like Photoshop.

It's very mysterious and frustrating as my client is probably going to fire me if I can't do their work!

Aug 12, 2008 9:57 AM in response to Kimley

I just did a little experimenting here. Flash does seem to have an issue with certain fonts. I tried an older Type 1 PostScript font (ITC Zapf Dingbats) first in Flash CS3. It wouldn't work at all. Couldn't type or even paste in characters. Even the Character Palette wouldn't pop them in. I then switched to the Leopard provided version of Zapf Dingbats. That does work, but only by pasting them in from another app where you can see the characters, or popping them in from the Character Palette. You can't type them in.

Aug 13, 2008 6:59 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks so much Kurt for looking into this.

I'm so frustrated with this problem. I called Apple support but they just told me to reinstall my system software which was their response to all my problems which are unfortunately many on my new laptop. I've been using Macs since the 80's and I've never had so many problems with a new system before.

Aug 13, 2008 8:04 AM in response to Kimley

I called Apple support but they just told me to reinstall my system software which was their response to all my problems which are unfortunately many on my new laptop.

Yes, the "catch all" problem solver. Reinstall. :-P

I'm not sure which type of Zapf Dingbat font you're trying to use, but if it's a Type 1 PS font, it sure seems to be a problem. As mentioned, I could use Apple's supplied .dfont version. I could also use the ITC Type 1 version if I converted it to an OpenType font first. But again, characters could only be entered via the Character Palette, or copy/pasting from another application, such as TextEdit.

Part of the problem with the Type 1 PS font is that it is laid out very strangely. It's plain ol' 8 bit font, but the position of the glyphs is encoded in an odd way. In a normal font, the space character is followed by exclamation, quote and number (hash mark), but in ITC's Type 1 PS Zapf Dingbats font, it's space, a1, a2, a202. This strange naming system continues through the entire font. So while the glyphs are in the correct ordinal positions (a-z, A-Z, 1-9, etc.), you still can't type them from the keyboard because the position names are completely different.

Aug 17, 2008 7:43 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks again Kurt for the thoughtful replies. I'm actually using Apple's version of the font and it (and other fonts like it such as Symbol) doesn't work in Apple's Mail program either...

I'm at a complete loss as to how I'm going to work on my client's file. Very frustrating!

But thanks for trying everyone! Much appreciated!

Aug 17, 2008 9:21 AM in response to Kimley

I'm actually using Apple's version of the font and it (and other fonts like it such as Symbol) doesn't work in Apple's Mail program either...

That should be possible. How are you trying to input the characters into Mail? You need to open Character Palette and navigate to the Unicode Dingbat section, 00002700, to do those, and probably to another section for a symbol, depending on exactly what it is.

Aug 28, 2008 6:25 PM in response to Kimley

I am having a similar problem with Dingbat font. My problem is the font displays properly in Word or AppleWorks, but not in Pages, Keynote, Numbers or TextEdit.

Here's the kicker, I have tried this on three different Macs (all running Leopard).

Got the same answer from Apple - reinstall your system. Didn't work on a reinstall either.

Aug 29, 2008 3:30 AM in response to dnnkpp

I am having a similar problem with Dingbat font. My problem is the font displays properly in Word or AppleWorks, but not in Pages, Keynote, Numbers or TextEdit.

If it displays right in Appleworks, you are not using a Unicode version of the font. In Pages, etc. use the Character Palette and go to Unicode section 00002700 to select and input dingbats.

Sep 19, 2008 3:24 AM in response to dnnkpp

Hello folks. I just noticed this thread. My Father's partner who is a graphics designer has been having the exact same problems, but what's more is that she has been talking with Apple UK, and apparently the engineers in Ireland are (now) fully aware of the problem (although it has taken us users to tell them about it! Bad Apple!!). I'm surprised that this problem hasn't been rectified in 10.5.5. So my recommendation is to contact Apple asap (don't bother with these forums, as it's well documented that Apple don't tend to take much notice on them).

I hope this helps.

Tom

Zapf Dingbats not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.