Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to iTunes

Hi everybody. Been struggeling with a problem the last week that has no resolution. I have a ".Mac family pack", now "Mobile Me family pack". The conversion to "Mobile Me" has gone smoothly, except for one thing. 10 days ago my kid brother bought a iMac and a iPhone and i created an account in "Mobile Me" for him under my family pack so he would get a email and be able to sync his stuff between the imac and iphone. No problem there either, just syncin' and mailn'.
Since he is new to enviroment i sent him a iTunes gift certificate so he could buy some apps in the App store. Now the problem begins. He tries to login to iTunes without success. The following message appears:

"The Apple ID you entered couldn't be found or your password was incorrect. Please try again."

When trying to access the Apple Shop the same problem happens. So we figure that there is a problem with the Apple ID and tries to create a new one. Then we get the message that it's not possible since the username is already hold up for a "mobile me" account. All my other family memebers already had a account before the conversion to "Mobile Me" and they automaticly had both a ".Mac-account" and an "Apple ID". Why is this not working for new accounts?

And most of all, how do he redeem his gift certificate?

imac + macbook + iphone, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2008 11:39 PM

6 replies

Aug 9, 2008 7:55 AM in response to dalpha

dalpha,

An Apple ID is not automatically a iTunes Store account. Although an account created on the iTunes Store is an Apple ID.

Essentially an Apple ID can be used to login into Apple website that require no additional information. When you register an Apple product, register for the Apple Developer Connection, purchase an Apple product at the Apple Store online, create an Apple Discussions account, create an iTunes Store account, or sign-up for .Mac you create an Apple ID. However, some information is not share among them. For example your credit card in your iTunes Store account doesn't automatically transfer to the Apple Store online unless you enable it to do so.

Since he had never used the iTunes Store before, he needs to create an iTunes Store account and link it to his existing Apple ID or a new Apple ID.

Since he is starting with a gift certificate, he can go to the iTunes Store and click on the "Redeem" button, and follow the steps to create an account and redeem the gift certificate.

Hope this helps,

Nathan C.

Aug 9, 2008 10:00 AM in response to Nathan C

Hi Nathan

That's not possible since you can't crate a new account with an already existing mobile me account. This is the error message you get when you try to redeem a gift certificate.

"You cannot create a new account using an existiong MobileMe adress. If you have a MobileMe account you can cancel and Sign In using your MobileMe account information."

And that's not true. It only works for family pack members who created their account before the MobileMe conversion. Not for user who created an account after that date.

//D

Aug 9, 2008 12:46 PM in response to SuperSizeIt

SuperSizeIt,

Updates need to be downloaded with the same account the App was purchased with.

To make thing easier, my wife, children and I share an Apple ID separate from my work one for iTunes purchases. My work computer, home computer, her home computer, and the kids' computer are the 4 machines I currently have authorized.

Hope this helps,

Nathan C.

Can't login to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.