Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Normalization

I have not been able to find information on how iTunes normalizes the music in its library. I have some CD's that have a lower volume than others, and even normalized through iTunes they still sound lower volume. Does anyone know if iTunes uses a peak normalization or does it use a statistical analysis normalization technique? Is there some way to adjust the volume for certain songs over others within iTunes so my iPod plays everything at a volume that sounds even to my ears? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Loren

Posted on Nov 10, 2005 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2005 9:40 AM

If you right mouse click on the song and choose get info. Choose the Options Tab and then you can specify the individual sound volume for that particular song or you can choose a block of songs and set the volume for it that way.
10 replies

Nov 10, 2005 9:47 AM in response to Loren Morris

Hello, Loren

You didn't indicate your operating system. I use this (assuming I've gotten the link in correctly)

MacMP3Gain

It claims to require OS X 10.4.2, but works like a charm on my 10.3.9 system. If you're using Windows, the page has a link to an application that's supposed to work, but I don't have any experience with it. (Oh, and in either event it'll only work if you're talking about mp3 or AAC files.)

(Now I see you're posting in a Windows forum, sorry. Look here)

MP3Gain

Good luck

srb

Nov 10, 2005 9:49 AM in response to Loren Morris

Loren,

Use the 'Sound Check' feature of iTunes and the iPod. This does a passable job of scanning your song files and adjusting the volume. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Within iTunes:
- Edit==>Preferences==>'Playback' tab
- Have the 'Sound Check' box checked
- If the box was unchecked, you'll need to close and open iTunes for it to scan the files

On your iPod, navigate to the 'Settings' and choose 'Sound Check' as 'On'.

You may need to re-sync the iPod to iTunes for the songs to adjust on the iPod.

As posted above, you can individually adjust the songs within iTunes as well. They may or may not transfer to the iPod (not sure about this one).

Nov 10, 2005 9:59 AM in response to Loren Morris

Does anyone know if iTunes uses a peak normalization or does it use a statistical analysis normalization technique?

Sound Check uses a statistical analysis method, similar to ReplayGain, but not as accurate.

Is there some way to adjust the volume for certain songs over others within iTunes so my iPod plays everything at a volume that sounds even to my ears?

Right click any song, Get Info, and there's a slider you can use to manually adjust the volume of that song only. Be careful here, this is a digital volume adjustment, so increasing the volume too much will result in peak clipping.

Nov 10, 2005 10:34 AM in response to Otto42

Otto,

What happens if you run the AAC files through ReplayGain (with the AACGain add-on) after using iTunes' Sound Check?

- Can the two co-exist?
- Will one over-write the other? Repeatedly?
- Should only one or the other be used (at one time)?
- Is it worth running ReplayGain on files that I currently have in iTunes with the Sound Check option on?
- Should I use it on my Lossy AAC/256/VBR files and the Apple Lossless 'Masters'?
- If I 'ReplayGain' the Lossless Masters, does the volume adjustment transfer to any future files I create by 'converting' the Masters to a Lossy files within iTunes?

Many questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2005 11:15 AM in response to Buegie

What happens if you run the AAC files through ReplayGain (with the AACGain add-on) after using iTunes' Sound Check?

This is a more complex question than you think it is, so I'll try to be thorough. First, it helps to understand what the general idea of volume leveling is.

The idea is that you scan each music file and determine some number which will represent the "volume" of that song. Then, you will use that number to adjust the volume of the song equally throughout the entire song, in order to reach a preset value.

So if I scan a song and determine that its volume level is 85dB, and my target level is 89dB, then I bump the volume of that song up by 4dB. If I do this to all songs, then they are all at the same volume, more or less.

There's two ways in which I can make that volume adjustment:
* At playback time, I can dynamically change my volume based on this number, or
* I can actually change the song file itself in some way.

Sound Check uses the first method. It works by scanning a song when you add it to iTunes. It then writes a tag into the song with the volume level that it finds. If Sound Check is then turned on in iTunes (or on the iPod), the volume is adjusted at the time that song is played. The actual song file is untouched.

ReplayGain is sort of a broad name for a methodology rather than a specific choice of volume adjustment technique. Some implementations of ReplayGain (like the one foobar 2000 uses) act in the same way iTunes does. They adjust the volume based on some tag at the time the song is played back.

Other techniques, like MP3Gain and AACGain, actually change the song file itself by adjusting specific values in the songs data. This has both benefits and drawbacks to it, in various ways, but the important point is that since the song itself is changed, that change affects any program playing that song.

If you MP3Gain or AACGain a file before it's ever added to iTunes, you won't have a problem. SoundCheck will work just fine. Basically, since the song is already adjusted, when iTunes scans it, it will simply read the song as louder than it was before you adjusted it.

But since iTunes writes a tag to the file with that scanned volume level, if you add the song to iTunes first and then later run it through MP3Gain or AACGain, Sound check won't work properly anymore.

Look at it like this sequence of events:
* I add a song to iTunes, which scans it and determines that it is at 83dB. So it needs a +6dB adjustment to get it to 89dB.
* I scan it with MP3/AACGain, which gets the same result, and then actually performs a +6db adjustment, bringing the song data to 89dB.
* Playing it in iTunes will then add a +6dB adjustment, bringing it to 95dB, which is too loud.

Basically, iTunes won't see the effects of MP3/AACGain's changes to the files, since it only scans the file once.

Realistically, Sound Check and ReplayGain perform the same function, and work identically. There's only two benefits to using ReplayGain:
* Slightly more accurate, but much slower, scanning method.
* ReplayGain includes the possibility of using "AlbumGain" which adjusts whole albums by identical amounts, preserving volume differences between songs on the same album.

Tests I've done show that ReplayGain is only slightly more accurate than Sound Check is, so that's really not a good reason to use it instead of Sound Check. AlbumGain is nice, if you play whole albums a lot.

If you're careful, you can use both together, but realistically it's a real PITA. So I'd stick to one or the other.

Additional: AACGain does not support Apple Lossless files. Don't try it.

More additional: One thing I forgot to mention: Use of MP3Gain or AACGain can cause a file to clip, on any playback device. Sound Check seems to be able to cause clipping in iTunes, but not on an iPod, as near as I can tell.

Nov 10, 2005 12:08 PM in response to Otto42

Otto,

Many thanks for the well written explanation. My max 5+s for you on that.

As I am not quite satisfied with the Sound Check results on the iPod, is there another option that you would suggest?

I can run MP3Gan w/AACGain and turn off the Sound Check in iTunes and the iPod, but I am not sure i want to physically change the song files rather than the Tags.

Is there another utility that will add (or replace) a tag to do the same as Sound Check with better results? I can run my Lossy files through it and hopefully get less required adjustments to the iPod (either car, stereo dock, or ears buds).

I prefer a program that will error on lowering the volume, rather than raising it (lower dB target, rather than higher). I always have room on the iPod to increase the volume, so I want to avoid distortion or clipping.

I am getting fussy as I listen to the iPod more and more. I'll balance the fussiness with the 'pain' of implementing the conversion. 😉

Thanks Again!

Nov 10, 2005 1:08 PM in response to Buegie

Is there another utility that will add (or replace) a tag to do the same as Sound Check with better results?

Not really. Like I said, the difference between ReplayGain and Sound Check, in my testing, has been extremely small. And ReplayGain is generally considered the best there is.

MP3Gain and AACGain are actually worse than Sound Check, because they are limited to adjust volumes in 1.5dB increments only (for technical reasons you're probably not interested in).

I find Sound Check works great for me. However, on 3G iPod's, Sound Check does not work on the line output port of the docking station. This is something to keep in mind if you feel that it's not having any major effect. It works fine on the headphone output, and they fixed the line output issue in 4G and later iPod's.

Nov 10, 2005 3:36 PM in response to Buegie

A drawback to the Volume Adjustment slider that wasn't mentioned here yet is that the adjustment carries over into the NEXT song the iPod plays. What was meant as a feature to keep you from having to fish out your iPod from your pocket to increase the volume on quiet tracks makes you fish it out anyway. You can definitely tell that VA is the culprit because all you have to do when the next song starts playing too loudly is to tap the iPod's volume wheel, and the volume snaps back to normal, as if you broke the spell.

Another peeve: Once iTunes has figured out the Sound Check setting for a song it never forgets it, no matter how many times you turn on/off Sound Check or clear/reimport the track into your library. One of my songs was set automatically to minus 8dB, making it the quietest song in the library, and I have found no way of making iTunes redo the Sound Check for it.

Nov 10, 2005 5:23 PM in response to Craig Johnson

A drawback to the Volume Adjustment slider that wasn't mentioned here yet is that the adjustment carries over into the NEXT song the iPod plays. What was meant as a feature to keep you from having to fish out your iPod from your pocket to increase the volume on quiet tracks makes you fish it out anyway. You can definitely tell that VA is the culprit because all you have to do when the next song starts playing too loudly is to tap the iPod's volume wheel, and the volume snaps back to normal, as if you broke the spell.

Doesn't do that on my 3G unit. Must be a bug in the older model firmwares.

Another peeve: Once iTunes has figured out the Sound Check setting for a song it never forgets it, no matter how many times you turn on/off Sound Check or clear/reimport the track into your library. One of my songs was set automatically to minus 8dB, making it the quietest song in the library, and I have found no way of making iTunes redo the Sound Check for it.

If it's an MP3, you can remove the iTunNorm comment tag, and re-add the song to the library. You'll need some other program to do this though. The Godfather seems to be capable of it.

I don't have any easy way for you to remove the tag from an M4A file, although I have done it myself with a hex editor.

iTunes Normalization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.