7159 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2008 7:56 PM by John Huber1
I just switched to WPA personal and it workes but still I wanted to use WPA2 Personal... I am very disapointed with the airport extreme card in this computer too it does not pick up a strong signal with the network even when its right by the router!!! with my powerbook and a wireless linksys card I can walk down the street and pick the signal up.
Unfortunately, with the variety of iBook G4s you'll need to be specific in which one you have. There are some with known issues and vary quite a bit in their wireless ability. Processor and screen size are important.
For example, there is a HUGE difference between the G4 1.33ghz 12" and the G4 1.33ghz 14". The 12" is newer and the airport is built in with bluetooth and has problems. Knock on wood for the 14", I have one that has been virtually problem free.
Copied from apple's support:
To set up a WPA2 Personal network:
1. Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Mac, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows.
2. Select your base station, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu. Enter the base station password if necessary.
3. Click AirPort in the toolbar, and then click Wireless.
4. Choose WPA/WPA2 Personal from the Wireless Security pop-up menu if you want computers compatible with WPA and WPA2 to join your network. Choose WPA2 Personal if you want only computers compatible with WPA2 to join your network.
5. Enter an ASCII password of 8 to 63 ASCII characters.
John! thank you so much. I always thought that the connection was not in all the way but it never would snap in... so I took the card out of the computer and worked it until it snapped in the proper way via the link you sent me.
I am very very happy with this now. full bars all the way! and now that the connection is good it connects to WPA2 personal. the computer it self will not list WPA2 personal but if you just select WPA it still connects to it, so go figure.
btw it is a Ibook G4 800mhz powerpc G4