Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart playlists

I've tried to make smart playlists which sort my library on genre, but all the results are sorted by artist and not random. There is also an option: selected. I filled in: Random. How is this possible or how can I correct this?

Posted on Sep 13, 2005 7:48 AM

5 replies

Sep 13, 2005 8:19 AM in response to Maurits Boeije

You want to choose Genre CONTAINS Jazz (for example)
The select the check box before LIMIT TO 200 (or whatever) songs selected by RANDOM.

Now, if this is how you have it picked, random may very well include multiple songs by the same artist. It's random. No way to really set that.

If you choose 'least played' . . . or not played within last however many days, you might get a better mix, and hear songs you've not heard before, or in a while . . . you also might find this sight helpful in randomizing your music, as well: www.smartplaylists.com

Good luck!

Sep 13, 2005 8:56 AM in response to Maurits Boeije

There's a difference between sorting and selectivity.

You can sort any playlist by anything, by simply clicking the column header of the playlist.

You can make a smart playlist selective by telling it to limit itself to some amount of songs, sorted by X. This sorts the list before it marks the cutoff point, it doesn't control the final sorting of the list.

So if you have it set to pick 5 songs sorted by Random, then it picks 5 random songs. But you can later sort those 5 random songs by artist or anything else.

See the difference?

Sep 14, 2005 9:03 AM in response to Maurits Boeije

Thanks BusyMe and Otto42. I know understand why all my results were sorted. BusyMe helped me with solving the problem, when I selected them by Least Recently Played they were more arranged.

But maybe anyone knows how to create a number of songs according to a criteria and then shuffle them like the option of i-tunes: Shuffle songs.
I hope that is also possible.

Smart playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.