Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turning off previous recipient memorization

Is there a way to permanently disable Mail's ability to memorize previous recipients? I see I can get into the Previous Recipients window and delete all or individual entries, but I'd prefer turning this feature off entirely. I only ever want people who are in my address book to be listed during autocomplete.

MacBook 2.16GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2008 12:12 PM

4 replies

Oct 2, 2008 1:32 PM in response to fortbailey

This is a very annoying feature sometimes. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable this in the GUI prefs, but I wonder if there's property that can be pushed into the plist file from the terminal. Something like (just an example; don't use this):

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail DisablePreviousRecipients -bool YES

Problem is, I'm unsure what the key value pair (the last bit of string above) would be for this option, if it even exists. Anyone else out there have a lead?

Oct 3, 2008 6:50 AM in response to Chris R.

If you want to disable the Previous Recipients feature, you can do it with this command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail SuppressAddressHistory -bool true

Neither Mail nor Address Book should be running at the time you do this. As the OP stated they don't want anyone in that list except people who are in their Address Book, if they add someone to their address book, they will need to reverse this command before that person could be added to the Previous Recipients list.

Mulder

turning off previous recipient memorization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.