Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my DVI port dead?

15" powerbook G4. I plugged a 22" Acer into it that natively runs at 1680x1050. It picks up the display and properly configures itself to run at that resolution and even seems to work fine for the first little bit, but then I get extensive DVI corruption. (it looks like bad TV reception) I have ensured that the cable is in as snug as possible. I know the monitor works as I've used it on other machines. In fact, it's currently sitting here plugged into a brand new macbook and everything is peachy. But it won't work with the powerbook. I think I've used the powerbook's DVI port maybe a small handful of times over the years and honestly, I can't remember if it ever worked.

I guess I'm hoping maybe there's some sort of configuration problem I am unaware of or something. I like my powerbook, even though it's really getting ancient now.

15" powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.x), onboard FX5200

Posted on Aug 12, 2008 3:08 PM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2008 9:08 AM in response to louie

I am unsure of what model this is beyond its being a 15" powerbook G4, 1ghz model with onboard FX5200 (I mention the display because I remember it being one of the few things that differed between the models). I can't remember what adapters it came with so I can't try those out. I'm not sure where they even are (I know I have them, just not sure where I put them). This is an old computer, lol.

I only have one free standing display so I can't try any others. I know the monitor works, though, as it works fine with other machines.

This isn't a big deal; I plan to replace this thing with a Macbook Air next year. I was just curious.

Is my DVI port dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.