Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authorize iPod on a new computer

I have one authorized PC on my account; the original machine I signed up for iTunes with. Unfortunately, that hard-drive crashed hard, no recovery possible.

Luckily, I have a backup of my music library on the iPod. But I've now re-built my machine from scratch, and I can't import the songs from the iPod into a new iTunes installation.

I have logged into the music store as me, but it keeps telling me that it wants to wipe the iPod and link it to this (blank) library.

I figured I needed to "authorize" these files somehow, so I looked up Apple's instructions:

To authorize a computer to play songs or spoken word content purchased from the iTunes Music Store, select the item (in your library or the Purchases playlist), and click the Play button.

Great, except that I can't even press "play" on any of these files. I can select my iPod inside iTunes and I see the files there, but they are all greyed out. I can't click on them or try to play them.

How do I get them off my iPod and into the library to authorize them?

- Down and out in DRM land

Posted on Sep 20, 2005 8:24 AM

3 replies

Sep 20, 2005 8:35 AM in response to Philip Seibert

The easiest way will be to search VersionTracker for "iPod". You'll find a number of utilities that can transfer your tracks and your playlists from your iPod back to your PC.

It's also possible to do this manually, but the procedure is rather involved. If you're interested, though, search this forum; the instructions have been posted many times. If you can't find them, post back and someone can post the instructions.

Sep 20, 2005 9:12 AM in response to Philip Seibert

Thanks for the help. Here is the snippet of the solution I found from:
Don King Resurrected, "Deleted files from hard drive" #1, 01:49am May 30, 2005 CDT

For Windows:
1) connect iPod and hold Shift + Ctrl - this stops the auto sync
2) If your iPod doesn't appear in 'My Computer' then enable disk use for the iPod
3) Go to 'My Computer' and Double-click your iPod to open it
4) From the menu bar go to Tools > Folder Options…
5) Select the 'View' tab
6) scroll down and enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'
7) hit 'Apply' or 'OK'
8) Double-click on 'iPod_Control', then 'Music'
9) Copy the contents (Folders named F01, F02, etc.) to your HDD
10) open iTunes preferences and under the advanced pane, make sure that 'Keep iTunes Music folder organized' and, 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' are checked. The first option will fix up the filenames so that they appear normal, the second makes sure that the songs are somewhere safe that iTunes knows about.
11) Drag the Folders into the iTunes window to import your music

Authorize iPod on a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.