Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding Locked Files on your Drives

When transferring a large number of files to my Mac from an old hard drive it apparently left several Random files locked on my system. I know how to get rid of them if locked.. but how do I scan my drive to find all of the locked files it left?

Everytime I seem to be encountering one it is crashing my application.

Thanks,

Christopher

Mac Pro Quad 2.8 - Jan 08 Rev, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 10 Gigs of Ram, ATI Radeon 2600 XT

Posted on Aug 15, 2008 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2008 7:38 PM

Open the Terminal in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and run:

sudo find . -flags uchg

Provide your administrator password, which won't appear on the screen while it is being typed; the command may take a few minutes. Do not unlock the BootX or boot.efi items.

(34796)
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2008 7:38 PM in response to crsouser

Open the Terminal in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and run:

sudo find . -flags uchg

Provide your administrator password, which won't appear on the screen while it is being typed; the command may take a few minutes. Do not unlock the BootX or boot.efi items.

(34796)

Aug 16, 2008 5:31 AM in response to Niel

Again *I know how to fix it*.. but +I am looking for an easier method of locating the locked files+ than manually scrolling through a couple hundred directories and 40,000 files looking for a little lock on the file.

If there is even one it seems to be able to crash my programs that I use on the files.

Aug 17, 2008 8:07 PM in response to crsouser

Sorry.. you are correct.. I misread it as someone stating the Apple knowledge base answer of how to unlock them.

The method suggested worked (just cd up to a top level directory first".
sudo find . -flags uch.

Just so all the info's in one place:
"I.e." sudo chflags -R nouchg for unlocking them.
from
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1402

I found the Option button plus empty trash works too for getting locked files out of there sometimes

As well as Get Info followed by unchecking "Locked".

Christopher

Finding Locked Files on your Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.