Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

voicemail sms notification

Hi,
When I get a voicemail I also get sent an SMS alerting me to that fact.
Is this a "feature" of the iPhone? or is it my service provider (Rogers)?

iPhone 3g

Posted on Aug 17, 2008 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2008 3:56 PM

Never heard of such. I've never received an SMS alerting me to a voicemail in the year+ I've had an iphone.

Hopefully someone who know more will chime in.
23 replies

Aug 21, 2008 9:46 AM in response to Algernon

Are you 100% sure its an SMS?

The iPhone notifies you of missed calls and voicemails on the home screen and they look identical to the SMS notification.

Check your SMS app to see if the message is in there. If not, its just a normal iPhone notification.

If it is in the SMS app you'll need to talk to Rogers to have it disabled as that is not a feature on the iPhone.

Oct 10, 2008 2:01 AM in response to Algernon

From what I've read, this problem only seems to exist for Rogers and Fido customers in Canada. Even if you have the annoying "Who Called" feature turned off, there is still something else that sends an SMS message saying "1 new voicemail." That means I get 3 notices from the iPhone: 1 missed call alert, 1 VVM alert, and 1 SMS new voicemail alert. If you haven't turned off "Who Called", you get an additional SMS alert about the missed call.

I've talked to at least 8 different Rogers CSRs and iPhone support people, none of whom can figure out how to turn off the SMS new voicemail alert. If anyone succeeds in getting Rogers/Fido to turn this off, please let me know the solution!

Oct 24, 2008 11:06 AM in response to Bradenalmighty

Over the last 2 weeks I've invested 15 hours of my time (no exaggeration here at all) to Rogers customer service for this very reason. NOT WhoCalled - I had that turned off in the blink of an eye. I was calling to get the secondary SMS text message that is sent when someone leaves a voicemail disabled. In July when I got the iPhone it was a simple 2 minute phone call to Rogers to have them turn off WhoCalled. I then called my voicemail from a land line, selected the "To change your personal options, press 4" and then the "turn notification on or off" option. From that blissful day onwards I did not receive the secondary text message (the physical text message that had to be deleted from my SMS in-box).

Fast forward to October 10th. I was having troubles with my voicemail so Rogers kindly removed it from my package and reset it which - on top of not being warned to get my messages off before they did that - brought back WhoCalled and the annoying SMS notification. I called back, had them remove WhoCalled but was still getting the secondary SMS message (this is on top of the phone notifying me on-screen of a new voicemail which I know is part of the hone and don't care if it's there or not). I called the voicemail from a land line and the options had changed!

After 15 hours with Rogers all I could get was WHEN they changed the Visual Voicemail phone based options and it was the last week of September to the first week of October. I'm now penning a letter to Rogers citing this forum and others begging them to bring back that option in the voicemail so I can get rid of this annoying feature that I was free of for two blissful months. The experience has been enough to make me ready to switch to a Touch and drop Roger who I've been happily with for 18 years. It's dramatic I know but really, it was fine before they reset it and now they tell me it can't be done....and I have to agree with them. But they have to understand that it used to be doable and it's because of the change they made that it's not. I want them to change it back or at least bring that one feature back so I can turn it off.

I'm not the only one. I've been told that many people are calling asking the same thing and that I'm one of the few that got it disabled before the system changed. I want to find other iPhone users that do not get this SMS message on a new voicemail to confirm that I'm not a lunatic and it can (could) be done. Heck, even one of the CSRs I talked to wants it turned off.....

Oct 24, 2008 12:13 PM in response to DaveKellies

Well, that would explain why a Genius at the Apple Store in Calgary told me to phone into my VM and change the settings... and why I couldn't find the option he was talking about.

I, too, will write a letter to Rogers. Hopefully, Apple is paying attention to this issue and will instruct Rogers to change the configuration, since it's clearly not Apple's intended behavior for the iPhone.

Oct 29, 2008 1:52 PM in response to Darin Wilson

I just got off the phone with Fido. I asked them to turn off the sms messaging letting me know I had a voicemail.

Customer support put me through to tech support. Tech support told me that "that is impossible and no one would want to do that". "If you were on WiFi you would not know you had a voicemail message. It could be very very important and you would miss that message if you did not get an SMS. We surveyed our customers and found out that everyone wants to know if they have a voicemail message so we did it this way".

I explained that AT&T did not do this in the States and there was no outcry of missed messages (likely because if you have an iPhone you generally have the cell features tuned on. Messages missed while the iPhone is turned off will show up in voicemail when you turn the cell features turned on).

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was refused. I asked for a name of a person I could speak to who might be able to take this issue to marketing (who had made this decision) and was refused. I was told I could register a complaint - but would not be allowed to dictate the complaint, nor see a copy of the complaint, nor expect a follow-up call back on my complaint.

I was told that the only solution was to drop the VisualVoicemail feature. Then I was told with regular voicemail I would continue to get the "complimentary service of SMS notification" so that I would "always know if I had missed a call, because we surveyed people and found out they always wanted to know if they had missed a call". Seemed to me that dropping VisualVoicemail on an iPhone was a strange solution (is VisualVoicemail not touted as a major feature?) Further it would be no solution at all as I would continue to receive redundant SMS messages...

In other words Fido/Rogers has no interest in listening to their customer concerns. Oh, I was also told I was the "first person to ever call in with this complaint".

Oct 29, 2008 7:46 PM in response to Cam V

I also find these redundant sms messages extremely annoying. Occasionally, the message alerting me to a new voicemail come AFTER I've already heard the voicemail.

I didn't know you could call to have "whocalled" disabled, I'm definitely doing that ASAP!! It was originally advertised to only alert you when your phone doesn't even get the call, like when you turn it off or in bad reception areas and only for people who don't leave a VM. This way, if you can see who tried to call you. But now, I get a message for any regular missed call and those who leave me a message. Very annoying.

Nov 4, 2008 1:36 PM in response to DaveKellies

+1 on this issue. The SMS voicemail alerts are totally redundant and annoying on the iPhone. WhoCalled was falsely advertised (it was supposed to notify you only if the phone was off our out of reception and a call was missed - no notification for a normal missed call). I had WhoCalled disabled already but would dearly love to be rid of the voicemail SMS messages. Hopefully rogers is listening.

voicemail sms notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.