Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to Mac - unable to delete previously locked .dvdproj file on desktop

I am a new Mac user and first time forum user. This is the closest thread I have found to my issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7890933#7890933

I have attempted the each suggestion in the above thread. Unfortunately, they didn't work for me.

My file is a .dvdproj file I created on my Mac with the factory installed application, iDVD.

This file has the lock in the bottom right of the Information Page.

I am the only person that ever uses the Mac. "admin," me, "staff" and "everyone" all have Read & Write access.

When I attempt to delete, I get the following pop-up window: Finder requires that you type your password. I do this and the file goes through the motions of deleting from my desktop, but it never does.

I have tried to re-name the file in hopes that will allow me to delete and I get the following pop-up: You do not have sufficient privileges to rename the item.

If it were anywhere else on the Mac, I would just leave it. It's on my desktop, though, and I try to keep my desktop clean. 😉

This is my first Mac. I have had it for just a couple of months.

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated User uploaded file Thank you/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Aug 18, 2008 5:23 AM

22 replies

Aug 18, 2008 7:04 AM in response to jk2563

have you tried my suggestion from that thread?

Open terminal and type

sudo rm -rf

press the space bar. do not press enter yet. next drag one of the problematic files to the terminal window.

you should see something like this

sudo rm -rf path/to/file

Press enter. You'll have to enter your admin password (which you won't see). That's normal. This should delete the file in question. If it doesn't and terminal returns some errors, post them here.

BTW, that lock at the bottom of the info window is quite normal and it's there for all files/folders.

Aug 18, 2008 2:32 PM in response to V.K.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I do apologize for not knowing... I went in to the Terminal again and pasted the line.

julie-kinzels-macbook:~ juliekinzel$ ls -ladeO "/Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 juliekinzel staff - 68 Aug 18 16:40 /Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj
0: group:admin allow list,add file,addsubdirectory,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity

Aug 18, 2008 2:39 PM in response to jk2563

You did it correctly. I have no idea why it's not working. those permissions are quite ok. There is an ACL for admin group but it shouldn't prevent file deletion.
just to be sure, get rid of the ACL and try again. run

chmod -RN "/Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"

and next

rm -rf "/Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"

if that doesn't help try repairing your hard drive and see if that makes any difference. boot from the install DVD, start disk Utility and repair your startup drive.

Aug 18, 2008 3:31 PM in response to V.K.

I tried that first step and it doesn't seem to work with the / before Users. I tried it without the / and it said that it was unable to clear the ACL. I have pasted both scenarios:

julie-kinzels-macbook:~ juliekinzel$ chmod -RN "/Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"
julie-kinzels-macbook:~ juliekinzel$ chmod -RN "/Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"
julie-kinzels-macbook:~ juliekinzel$ chmod -RN "Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"
chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj: No such file or directory
julie-kinzels-macbook:~ juliekinzel$

Since it failed to clear ACL, I didn't bother trying the second one. I will have to wait until I get home to run the repair disk. I tried the Repair Disk Permissions and that didn't work. If I use the repair disk, it won't delete anything on my hard drive, right? Thank you again for your help!

Aug 18, 2008 3:35 PM in response to jk2563

the command with / worked and / should be there. there should be no feedback if the command is successful. please try the second command. also please don't change the commands that I give you. messing with terminal can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. you don't want to delete the wrong thing here.

Aug 18, 2008 4:09 PM in response to V.K.

oops. I feel sheepish. 😉 I tried the first command, then the second command. Results from the second command are as follows:

julie-kinzels-macbook:~ juliekinzel$ rm -rf "/Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj"
rm: /Users/juliekinzel/Desktop/Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj: Operation not permitted

Aug 18, 2008 4:19 PM in response to V.K.

OK. Thank you. I will try that reboot when I can get the disk from home. I just tried opening the file and it seems that something has now changed on it. It is still called Totally Chocolate Dinner.dvdproj but when attempting to open it, the iDVD program opens instead and I can't find the video I created anymore. I wonder if I did something I shouldn't have while in Terminal. Thank you again. I will get to that disk when I get home.

New to Mac - unable to delete previously locked .dvdproj file on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.