7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2008 4:02 PM by Ethmoid
Richard Frey Level 1 (35 points)
I created website using iWeb and uploaded it to my .mac ( or now mobileme? ) account. The company that I bought the domain name from said that they need the dns server (nameserver) for my site? Does anybody know what this is or how I find it?

In case it is relevant, here is the URL.


Thanks a lot!

17" Power Book G4, 2.0GHz MacBook, 2.4 GHz MacBook, 20" Alum. iMac, 3 iPod Touches, 1 Video, 3 Nanos, Mac OS X (10.5.4), iSight, iLife 08, Adobe CS2, MyBook External HD
  • Wyodor Level 6 (19,675 points)
    Read this: http://www.wyodor.net/Domain/

    **“I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.”**
  • Tom Gewecke Level 9 (76,425 points)
    The company that I bought the domain name from said that they need the dns server (nameserver) for my site?

    No they don't. You use their default nameservers, not Apples. What you need from them is to set your www CNAME to web.me.com.
  • Golden Tara Level 1 (0 points)
    CNAME, DNS Server name...

    Man, I am having the same problem. I just redid my website using iWeb. Had fun created but could not publish it right away because the place where I have my domain name registered is not being corruptive. I told them I need a URL re-direct to web.me.com

    When I mention CNAME is acts as if it is impossible and then olny way he can change anything is to have the DNS Server name of MobileMe. CNAME www web.me.com does not comput with him!

    Does anyone know if it is possible to get the DNS Server name?
  • Ethmoid Level 6 (10,815 points)
    What you need to tell your domain registrar is to go the DNS settings in your account and then change from the current settings and forward www using the CNAME option and then forward to web.me.com. That is all you need to do and they DO NOT need any further information than this.

    Do they offer the CNAME option? Ask them this next time. If not, then you can ask him to use framed web forwarding and to forward your domain name to web.me.com/username/sitename and that will work.

    If they are not helpful, then my advice would be to change and go somewhere else. It is easy to do and go somewhere like GoDaddy that do provide these services.
  • jazzyS Level 1 (0 points)
    OK all the answers here do not really answer the question, and am asking the same thing.
    there should be primary and secondary DNS server (numbers/address)
    where can we find them?
    forwarding is different if you do it through the domain name site, it will be like hosting, so we just want the domain, and then do the Cname thing from Mac.
    Where can we find the DNS servers?
  • Tom Gewecke Level 9 (76,425 points)
    Where can we find the DNS servers?

    Not at Apple. Either they are provided by the place where you have your name, or you need to use Chapter 3 of this page:

  • Ethmoid Level 6 (10,815 points)
    As Tom has said already, you do not need DNS servers. This is nothing to do with Apple. It is at your domain registrar/host that provides DNS settings.

    If you want to use CNAME forwarding all you do is have your registrar alter the DNS control panel and forward www, CNAME and then web.me.com. That is it.

    You can of course use ordinary masked web forwarding where you forward your domain name to web.me.com/username/sitename. This way, you don't need to enter your domain name into your MMe account and you don't need to alter the DNS settings at your server.

    Web forwarding is probably easier to do.