Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Illustrator CS3 will not start on a user with a Network Home

Hi

Don´t really now whehere to put this question, but this seems to be the closest topic.

We have a 10.4 server that runs on an xserve, on this we run a Fileserver and a OD.

The clients uses a network home that is located on that server.

Now to the problem! We have previsly run CS2 without any problems, but now we have upgraded to CS3. And now we can´t start Illustrator CS3! Photoshop CS3 and InDesign CS3 works. If i use the local account on the computers Illustrator CS3 runs fine.. But not when a use a account with a network home.. It just keeps jumping for a while and then you have to Force Quit.. No splash screen appears.

Anyone got a idea?

Sorry for my English, not used to write thos much :P

// Johan

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 1:54 PM

13 replies

Aug 19, 2008 10:30 PM in response to Kevin Neal

Hi.

It works in a fresh account. So the first thing i did after knowing that was to rename the library-folder in the account that has the problem. So that i could try without the users preferences-files and other things that could mean trouble.

But its still the same.. 😟

Can it help to delete the user in the OD and create it again? Hope that it will not come to that, lots of work..

// Johan

Sep 14, 2008 2:50 PM in response to Johan Kjellman

We're also running into this same issue. All of the other Adobe apps seem to work fine. All adobe updates have been done. The system is running 10.5.4 with LDAPv3 and remote mounts on an NFS server. On the local accounts this seems to work fine, but when I log in as a network user, illustrator just freezes. Calling adobe support was useless, as they "only support local administrative users".

We would like to see this issue resolved.

Thanks,
David Burban
Desktop Administrator
Residential Computing, Berkeley, CA

Sep 15, 2008 5:56 PM in response to 0l33l

Well, I was able to figure this out, sort of. For some reason Illustrator expects the user's directory to be located in /Users. Ours was being mounted to the /home directory. The user's profile did indicate the correct path of the home directory.

Symlinking /home to be in /Users didn't help, as Illustrator still wouldn't launch. The only way I got it to work was if the nfs was pointing to /Users.

Oh, and this is on 10.5.5.

Thanks,
David Burban
Desktop Administrator
Residential Computing, Berkeley, CA

Nov 12, 2008 1:09 AM in response to Johan Kjellman

Hi we have similar problem, when setting up the users accounts they work fine for a while and then all the abobe cs3 start crashing, I've founds a solution after deleting the Preference files and also the application support file this sometime fixes the problem,

The long solution is to copy the users account to your desktop and then delete the old account recreate it and copy the users files back this works, seems like creating a new account it the only solution...

Any other ideas

Illustrator CS3 will not start on a user with a Network Home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.