Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2.0.2 Update Hangs During Restore and Can't Complete

Has anyone else's update stopped responding during the restoration process?

I've been at about 80% for 45 minutes now, in the screen which reads, "Restoring iPhone Software".

This is the same exact thing that happened when I "upgraded" from 2.0.1

Thank you Apple for wasting yet another day as I now have to go into the Apple store a second time to have my phone resussitated. I wish I could bill all the hours I've wasted on "upgrading" my phone back to Apple.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Leopard

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 2:54 PM

9 replies

Aug 19, 2008 5:20 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

I'll meet you at the store tomorrow. My phone crapped out, apps not working, music went bye-bye, whatever. I decided to go for a full restore. First it downloaded it';s latest version which took 2-1/2 hours. Then we had about another 2 hours or so of backing up, preparing to restore, firmware fun and whatever else it did before it started to restore. I started the entire process at 8pm. It started to restore about 11:30 pm. I went to bed. I got up at 3:30 and checked on it. The screen that was up was the itunes library, so I assumed it was done. I checked the iphone....apps still not working and still no music. So, I went to try to sync, but all it gave me was the screen to set up new phone or restore. Not wanting to start from scratch I hit "continue". I redid the "restore". I went back to bed and got up again at 5:30. Then it was 1/2 way through the restore. I positioned the mouse arrow right at the end of the green bar to mark its progress and got ready for work. By 6:40 it hadn't budged at all....still restoring. So at 7 am I pulled the plug. With that all I got on the phone was that big green battery. I turned it off and I couldonly turn it off by hitting both buttons which gives me either the apple logo or a black screen. I can't even use it as just a phone.
Now I am redoing it again. I was spared Apple downnloading it's latest version again. I started at 7pm tonight and now at 8:20 it is still backing up. It wouldn't let me sync so I went for the restore again. One more hour of this and I will again pull the plug and see you at the store again.
I think our little apples all have worms.
Good luck with yours.

Aug 19, 2008 6:02 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

**Glad i'm not the only one experiencing problems with the 2.0.2 update, my iphone freezes back up at about 80% (it's been 3 1/2 hours now), I dont think I have got any alternative but to pull the bloody lead out! ggggrrrrhhh!**

**Also I can't believe how crap the battery life is, especially when playing applications, I have to charge mine EVERY day. Come on Apple pull yourselves together and get all these problems sorted!!!!**

Aug 20, 2008 8:41 AM in response to DJLLEEOO

Haven't gone to the store yet....the appointment is for Friday at 6:30 pm (wanted it for today!)....meanwhile, keep in mind I am still being billed by AT&T for their service and if it takes time to fix, restore, AT&T will continue to bill. After all it's not their issue. When I'm done there I will post update..somewhere, as there are many related threads!

Aug 20, 2008 6:50 PM in response to Alan Cattier

Mine is also stuck on the screen showing the itunes logo and a USB plug. I can't find the option in itunes to delete the update and start over, the downloads link in left column of itunes is gone now that it doesn't know my iphone is plugged in.

But when I do unplug and plug in the usb, I hear a beep so I know something i going on, but what, no idea.

Aug 21, 2008 12:43 AM in response to photohead

Same here my restore froze at about 99.9% so I had to end the iTunes app by stopping the process in task manager. Some apps wasn't install and I lost some data, but the good thing is most of the important data were still intact. I had to hold the sleep and home button to perform a hard start, then open iTunes again, and finally re-sync app/music that weren't synced. I thought it was worth the update though because of all the bug fix, noticeably the type lag in Safari and apps running much smoother.

2.0.2 Update Hangs During Restore and Can't Complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.