Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade to Tiger from Leopard?

I have a powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz with 1.25 GB of RAM. Since installing leopard I feel like some of my performance has been compromised. Lately, video imports have really gone down, the video is choppy and unwatchable for editing purposes. Should I downgrade to Tiger. Is leopard too much for my machine?

Powerbook G4 PowerPC 1.5 12", Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 6:37 PM

11 replies

Aug 19, 2008 7:34 PM in response to booyabug

your machine is plenty good enough to run leopard although a tad more RAM is never a bad idea. generally, leopard runs faster than tiger on the same hardware. if you are considering reinstalling you might first try reinstalling leopard as this might solve the issues you have, archive and install of leopard in your situation would be much easier than a downgrade to tiger which pretty much has to be manual.better, yet, back up your data to an external and do an erase and install of leopard with manual migration from the backup. that tends to work the best.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Aug 19, 2008 9:22 PM in response to booyabug

I have the EXACT PowerBook for my portable, it runs Leopard. I got this machine used about 6 months ago with Tiger and it was fine. but nothing more, os i upgraded to leopard and saw a speed INCREASE. as well as battery life. somthing may have been corrupt during the installation, i know thats happened to me before on my Intel iMac. What i ended up doing is backing it all up with time machine, Reformatting the HD and then not restoring from the backup, i just brought back the stuff i needed by hand and it fixed it, cut bootup time allmost in half and lots more. I'm now pleased with leopard.

Hope this helps
jack

Aug 19, 2008 10:24 PM in response to booyabug

I think, the problem with archive and install is that you'd loose alot of your spare HDD capacity.
Have upgraded my macbook from tiger to leopard and after initial hickups, it runs perfectly well now (saying that, I have an Intel 2004 macbook - and Leopard does like intel). 🙂 On the other hand, a slightly corrupt Leopard OSX killed my Power Mac dead. 😟

I'd go with the other poster and do a clean erase and install:
NB: are you a .mac (mobile me) member? you can use "backup" to save your entire itunes and iphoto etc library (AS it IS!) and also your mail setup etc. Well worth it! It's free, too!

Aug 20, 2008 6:14 AM in response to booyabug

20 GB of free disk space on one partition is hardly enough space for video imports. 1 hour of DV takes up 12 GB on its own. I'd actually consider:

1. Cloning your hard disk at least twice*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

2. Repartitioning it so you have about 25 GB set aside for temporary scratch space on your video imports.

3. Or getting a larger internal hard disk. Your machine can take up to 160 GB internal 2.5" Parallel ATA (ATA/IDE, and NOT SATA), and repeating step 2.

Hard disk space typically needs to be contiguous for smooth video imports.

And while Mac OS X does its own defragging on 20 MB and smaller files, larger files can get really space conscious.

Downgrading via a clone, erase and install, and careful recovery of your data can work too, but there may be compatibility issues with Leopard data in Tiger. An archive and install of Tiger over Leopard can yield many more compatibility issues. I don't think Leopard's entirely the problem, but rather how you use your disk space.

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Aug 29, 2008 1:19 AM in response to booyabug

Glad to see this topic begun here. I also would like to go back to Tiger from Leopard. In my case, the HD of my MacBook suddenly died. I purchased a new HD, and it came with Leopard installed. I am not happy that iPhoto is gone, but the larger problem is Backup. Nothing could be transferred from the old HD to the new one. I had done weekly backups (using Backup) to my iDisc, but apparently backups done in Tiger can not be restored in Leopard. I have both install discs. Will it work to install Tiger, restore my data, then install Leopard using the option to save what is then on the machine?

Downgrade to Tiger from Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.