Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows XP SP3 + Boot Camp 2.0/2.1

Hi. I have a MBP running 10.4.11 and have Boot Camp (I think v1.3) installed running Windows XP Professional SP3. I wanted to update my drivers, but I read in order to install the 2.1 drivers, 2.0 drivers had to be installed first. However, I cannot find the 2.0 drivers anywhere in the downloads section of the Apple site, but heard that it is only available on the Leopard DVD. Also, is it possible to install 2.1 drivers even if SP3 is installed? Finally, I purchased an iMac about 2 months ago. It came with the Leopard DVD. Am I able to use that DVD on my MBP for the Boot Camp 2.0 drivers? Thank you for all your help!

MacBook Pro 15'' | iMac 20'', Mac OS X (10.5.3), 2.2GHz ~ 120GB 5400RPM HD ~ 8600M GT | 2.66GHz ~ 500GB 7200RPM HD ~ HD 2600 PRO

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 9:02 PM

18 replies

Aug 19, 2008 9:47 PM in response to knp59

Hi knp59,

The Bootcamp 2.0 drivers are indeed only avaiable on the Leopard OSX DVD.
No 'official' place to download them.

The Leopard DVD that came with your iMac should let you install the 2.0 drivers on your MBP too.

Apple says that before installing the SP3 you have to install the 2.1 drivers.
If you look around the posts here, you see that some had success with installing the SP3 before the 2.1 drivers and some hadn't.

Personally I don't have the urge to either install the SP3 or the 2.1 drivers, since my XP SP2 runs flawlessly.

With major changes like these it is always a good idea to either make a backup of your BootCamp Windows using WinClone for example, or to make at least a 'System Restore Point' prior to any upgrade.

Regards

Stefan

Aug 20, 2008 9:23 PM in response to knp59

Hi,

that should not happen...

Do you have a BootCamp Windows on your iMac too ?
What happens when you insert the DVD while in BootCamp Windows on your iMac ?

Or could you have access to a Windows PC and try the DVD there ?

If you have any success wih one of the above and an USB-Memory Stick nearby, you could copy the content of the DVD (all files and folders) onto the USB-Stick, go back to your MBP, then copy the content of the Stick into a Folder onto the MBP harddisk and start the installation from there.

Stefan

Aug 21, 2008 10:24 AM in response to Fortuny

Thanks Fortuny, you seem to be the only person helping me out here!

I do not have Boot Camp Windows on my iMac yet. So, I tried out a few things. I booted up in OS X on my MBP, inserted the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and it ejected it. I tried it a second time, and it finally read it. So I decided to go back to Boot Camp Windows, and insert the DVD and it also read it. However, I could not find any Boot Camp 2.0 drivers nor did the update begin automatically. I don't know how to proceed from here.

Aug 21, 2008 10:48 AM in response to knp59

You start by running BootCamp Assistant in
/Applications/Utilities

It will need to find xx-GBs of free unfragmented space. If it can't find a single chunk, it will fail and you will need to backup, reformat, and restore from TimeMachine or another backup - so you need to have an external drive handy and OS X backed up.

BC Assist. will ask you to insert your Windows XP disc and install just like any normal OS install process.

After Windows XP SP3 is installed, updated through a couple restarts usually, THEN you insert your OS X DVD and there is a hidden partition just for BootCamp where there is Apple Setup.exe that installs drivers, services, and control panels. BootCamp OS Switcher, Apple Software Update, support for keyboard and mouse etc.

One of the first updates will be Apple Software Update control panel that improves on downloading future updates.

If you already downloaded BootCamp 2.1 update package, you can copy it over while in OS X or put it on a USB memory card etc.

Print out or read the BootCamp manual pdf.
http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Aug 21, 2008 1:13 PM in response to knp59

I didn't see the 1.3 beta mentioned, sorry.
Have you tried uninstalling 1.3?
Uninstall Programs control panel.

Also, a Safe Boot is sometimes the best or only way to uninstall some drivers.

As for BC Beta, and upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, some people lost their Windows partition and didn't use WinClone to make a backup, but seemed like Leopard changed the partition tables.

2.0.1 drivers aren't really updates like 2.1 is. BC 2.1 requires 2.0.x to be present.

I can't recally problems though back last fall when Leopard came out of people having trouble going from 1.4 beta to Leopard and 2.0.

Aug 21, 2008 8:56 PM in response to knp59

Hi,

Thanks Fortuny, you seem to be the only person helping me out here!

As you can see, not true 😉 (hi, The Hatter)

However, I could not find any Boot Camp 2.0 drivers nor did the update begin automatically. I don't know how to proceed from here.

When the DVD is in, open the Windows Explorer and do a right-click on the DVD-Drive, choose 'Properties' ; what information do you get or is the disc shown as blank ?
Also, do you by any chance have MacDrive installed in your BootCamp Windows ?
If so, the it prevents Windows from seeing the Windows Portion of the DVD.
See here http://assist.mediafour.com/index.php?a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&i=55 how to solve this.

Regards

Stefan

Aug 21, 2008 10:24 PM in response to Fortuny

Yes, I'm very grateful to have the both of you helping me!

Wow, I was about to mention I had MacDrive and asked whether or not that would affect it. According to your last post, that might be a problem. I will try what you suggested and hopefully the DVD will run without any problems. I'll report back with any changes!

Windows XP SP3 + Boot Camp 2.0/2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.